Thursday, March 12, 2009

I am a bad parent

I am standing at the computer with a vague smell of cat piss in the air. I think a cat peed on my clothes last night and I just put them on again this morning because it was the path of least resistance. Yesterday, someone said my hair looked "really lovely, more feminine". While I deeply appreciate the attempt to compliment me, I think it is looking like it is due to neglect and from wearing a hat all day to cover it.

Frost is off school today and went to the doctor where I allowed him to eat not one, not two but THREE lollipops while having his plantar's wart frozen with liquid nitrogen and pared down with a scalpel (in reverse order). I let Wren have 2 (although he threw both away unfinished) but refused to enable Wren to:
1) Have a cookie for breakfast
2) Have a candy for lunch
3) Eat dispenser candy at Gorditos
4) Run around without a diaper change

I also refused to distract him from his anger/rage tantrum so he had a longer one than was necessary and was carried under the arm screaming.

He liked the lemonade he had at Gorditos.

I let Wren watch Wiggles although nap-time should have begun half an hour ago so I could do some phone-calls for the school enrollment process.

I lost Wren in Top Ten Toys (that place is a total maze) and when I found him silently testing products I did not pick up the cars he had strewn on the floor (but I spent $100 on gifts and airplane distractions. Did I mention I am having 22 hours + on planes /airports en route Australia?)

I am now going to drink tea and read my book while I let Frost play Heros of Might & Magic on the 'family' computer.

4 comments:

tamusana said...

Not a bad parent... purely an expedient one. Join the club!

Today Luca asked me, only vaguely facetiously, if I was sure that he and Kenji weren't adopted. Why? Because (at that particular moment) I was being SO nice, despite Kenji's whining. And according to Luca, parents who adopt kids are the nicest sort of people, certainly much nicer in general than parents who have their own biological kids!!

I must remember to tell this to our friends who have adopted children. Clearly, they have made a stunning impression on Luca :-)

[sorry if I've posted this twice... not sure if it went through the first try]

Shannon said...

I tried to make up for my short-temper this morning and took the kids to the park. Walking home Wren ran out into the street and I scooped him up and put him in the stroller while not comforting his sadness at being removed from fun.

Frost said "You know, sometimes you are more mean than nice".

Great.

I said that I appeared to be mean to Wren because I was scared he would be hit by a car coming by.

Frost was unconvinced or felt motive did not excuse my rebuke.

Wyndi said...

too funny! Izzy calls me "mean old mommy" it started inocent she was saying me adn momy but it sounded more like mea old mommy and so it stuck and now that she is 3 mean old mommy is heard too often! She has added mean old daddy and mean old mike to the equation though so I do feel a little better about it!

Laurie Clark Klavins said...

You know, of course, that this killed me. I could have written it myself.