Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bible Stories for the Sceptical Son

I have been reading a children's bible to Frost at bedtime. The stories are retellings of key events and stories in the bible and include historical facts and explanation.

After tonight's tale of the Tower of Babel and an explanation about the patriarchs Abraham, Isaac and Jacob we turned to some photographs of helmets excavated at UR near where Abraham began his journey.

Frost looked at the photographs with a puzzled expression.

Frost: "Wait....so, did this really happen?"

I explained that most people believed that the Bible held many historical facts and many people believed it was the word of God and was absolutely true. Still others, thought there was some special and magical stuff in the world but didn't know what it was, yet. I added that this was just my view of things and that he would have to come to his own opinion and I would respect that.

He looked at the photograph again and said "I think I am 50% believe that there is God and 50% not-God. I think I will wait a bit longer and see what the scientists discover and be just 50% until then."

I suspect that the photographs differentiate this bible from other myths and legends (and bible stories) I have read before. Surely, someone taking pictures of these things so long ago is proof they happened.

Tomorrow night we will reach the part on Sodom and Gomorrah [which comes with wonderful photographs of salt formations in the Dead Sea and a lurid illustration of a burning city.]

No comments: