Saturday, March 29, 2008

"Have toothbrush, will travel"

Wren's obsession with the toothbrush has continued. When I get back this afternoon I will be able to post a picture of Wren taking the toothbrush with us in the car because his loss-of-toothbrush tantrum made it worthwhile. As I drove the kids to the thrift store our drive was punctuated by "BZZZZZ" [silence] "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" [silence] as he played with the on-off switch. He would not leave it in his carseat while in the store so I had to keep watch on him to avoid losing it. I was also looking for a chance to 'vanish' the toothbrush but Wren kept a tight clutch on it so that was impossible.

Here he is travelling in the Sedona with the toothbrush:
And he insisted on taking it into the store with us too:
That afternoon we had the "no, you can't mop the kitchen" conversation after he opened the broom closet and brought out the mop. He also dragged the mop bucket to the kitchen and cried and cried when the mop handle kept catching on the cabinets and did not move around like it does when I mop. Later, I locked the mop up and he lay and wept plaintively and loudly outside the broom closet for a long while.

Later still, I put water in the mop bucket and showed it to him then became distracted and left the bucket in the kitchen. He took out the mop and put it in the bucket then dragged the wet mop across the living room to ask for help in mopping.

ARGH!!!

I offered him the smaller kids mop and bucket but it is not the same model and he is not interested in it.

He loves to copy things I do and yesterday I found him dipping toilet paper into the toilet. I know that is not something I do exactly but the older people in the house seem to have a relationship with the toilet and he is not quite sure what it is.

When he finds a wet spot on the floor (dropped water, bath splashing, dishwasher emptying, pee) he gets a rag out of the kitchen drawer and wipes it up himself saying "uh oh, uh oh" all the time. He is very worried about wet floors because he has learned he often falls over on them.

I have just put Wren to bed, still clasping the toothbrush. I guess we have to use our old toothbrushes tonight.

No comments: