Thursday, January 31, 2008

Much better but not at night

Wren is very much himself today. He only coughs after waking and then he has a rattly chest for a short period. He seems to have plenty of energy. The doctor said it would take at least a week for the inflammation to subside but if I didn't know that he had it I would have said he just had the end of a cold.

This is not so for his sleep.

Last night he woke at 8pm (after 45 minutes sleep), 11.30pm, 12.30am and 4am before rising for the day at 5.45am. At midnight he was up for close to an hour.

Neither Joshua nor I have a clue what is going on at night. It could be that he has become accustomed to nursing on demand through the night as I allowed him to nurse 2-3 times while he was having trouble breathing and we wanted to avoid crying. Now he throws a tantrum when he wakes and I refuse to nurse. In the end I caved and he nursed at 1am and 4.30am. Ugh.

I am getting quite fed up with his attitude to nursing. He is very demanding with his signing. During the day he follows me and signs MILK when he feels its time. If I offer another liquid or some food he gets very angry, cries, falls on the floor, grabs my legs and complains until I give in. If I do not give in he is a monster until he is distracted from the idea.

God forbid I should try and sit on the couch where we usually nurse. Even if its not a nursing time he climbs on me and signs MILK. If I refuse the whole tantrum thing is set off again.

This morning he had a good nap and is sleeping again now. I slept for over an hour this morning so I feel fabulous by comparison with the past week of sleep deprivation . I have been dragging myself through the afternoon like a wet sock.

Anyway, time to wake Wren so he gets to bed on time.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Just a shout out -- one of my three year old boys was born with the same heart defect as your son Wren has.

We weren't quite as lucky as you because my son's defects weren't picked up prenatally so he went in to severe heart failure before being diagnosed and having his first surgery. Because he was in heart failure, the surgeons at Stanford weren't able to repair his arch the first go around. So he had angioplasty at a year, and a second surgery at 1 1/2 years old.

But now he is a thriving three year old little boy. His mitral valve and aortic valve are both doing great. It's amazing to see the amazing things those surgeons can do!