Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Golden Granadilla


This post is for my Australian/South African friends and family.

Today, I was looking at the Durban Daily Photo blog I follow and noticed the prices of main dishes at the restaurant board in the picture. They translate to about $5-10 dollars per dish. By contrast, yesterday I spent $3.20= R23 for A SINGLE GRANADILLA!

Oh, wait. I spent $6.40 for TWO #$#@$!! granadillas.

It was a mistake. They were not priced in the produce section of QFC and they looked great. They felt heavy and were wrinkled. For the granadilla/passionfruit connoisseurs among us, that = delicious. I put them in the cart meaning to ask the price at the checkout but I forgot. I looked it up as I unpacked at home and nearly fell down flat. I ate both, immediately, so as to not be reminded of my folly.

Yes, they were fabulous.

Grandad Punchy used to have a tennis court at 137 Northway and the whole right hand fence was covered with a prolific granadilla vine. As kids we would climb the tennis fence to pick the purple fruit and eat many of them. Many many of them, over ice-cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i bought a packet of 6-7 granadillas in capetown for R5 = 50 cents usd. will try and bring you some!
love mum