Monday, October 29, 2007

Sunday update

I can't believe its been a week since I last posted. Its been a busy week including multiple plumbers visits for the blogged tub drain, a Newsvine party, a KapKa board retreat, joining a gym, Frost heading to Vashon for the day and a few after school play-dates. Now, where is the weekend going?

Wren is doing well. His proto-walking has not developed at all. He is still happy to oblige me with a few tottering steps towards me before tumbling into my lap but I have to stand him up and say "come on" and hold out my hands to get him to do this. On two occasions he has 'walked' a few steps alone in the kitchen. It seems that if he is standing up and gets hold of a treasure like a pot or spoon he might decide to move his legs instead of dropping to a crawl but crawling is still his preferred and only mode of real locomotion.

In contrast to my interest in his being upright, Wren's main interest is ensuring I am never out of his sight. He is very anxious about all separation (including a bathroom break or me going down to the basement alone to put on the laundry). He whines pitifully and crawls after me as fast as his little arms and legs can go to keep up. When I stop he winds himself around my legs and cries. Its quite tragic. As a result I spend a lot of time carrying him on my hip or in the baby carrier as well as a lot of time feeling frustrated and reassuring him he is okay.

The anxiety he feels about me going away makes going away hard. This week I had a meeting with Josh, a KapKa workshift and a KapKa board planning day. These three required childcare. Thankfully Lisa has come ot know Wren but there are gut wrenching transitions when I get to leave, it is even difficult to leave Wren with Josh although he does well once I have lost to the outside world.

Wren like to play games. Josh and he made up a game in which he hides behind a cloth and then pops out to "peek a boo". He can do this for far longer than an adult's attention span.

Frost has a game in which he bounces and pops up behind the couch to squeals from Wren. I have taken little movies of these games as well as the Big Pounce & stumble-walking. I hope they work.

No comments: