Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Science experiments and Tiger Mountain

  • This morning we climbed Tiger Mountain up to the Bat Caves. Frost and Grandad claim they saw 2 bats although I am not convinced. Wren did not see the bats because he didn't go into the cave which was deep green and slippery in a crack between two huge rocks. The walk was a long haul (about 1.25 miles) along a path that became progressively steeper until it felt as if we were climbing a muddy bank. Frost complained that he was tired from about 100 yards along the trail. He couldn't believe we expected him to keep walking up and up and up. After an hour he asked whether we could carry him. We found that playing knights with sword ferns helped distract him from the hike. On the way down he skipped and ran until he complained he had a sore side (a stitch?) We stopped at Krispy Kreme in Issaquah and bought a dozen to replenish ourselves.
  • Wren liked lying on his back watching the leaves while Frost and Grandad played sailing boats down the little pebbled stream.
  • Frost went to the dentist and had sealants put on his second molars. The dentist liked babies and enjoyed talking to Wren. She stroked his big fat left leg and said how cute it was when babies have nice fat thighs. I didn't feel the need to tell her that it was an edema from his occluded ileac vein.
  • Frost thinks it very funny when Wren sucks his finger. "Sometimes Wren can go crazy cos like I was telling you before I put my knuckle in his mouth and he bit it hard two times but then like he suddenly started to go like [tossing his head from side to side] go crazy!!! Wren sucks my finger like a cuttlefish"
  • Dad and Frost did some science experiments this afternoon. Frost woke me from my nap explaining that he and grandad had heated copper sulfate over the gas flame and some had leaked and it make green fire! They also exploded a bottle rocket from baking soda and white vinegar, heated iron filings and sulphur and made a zinc dust and sulphur fire which sputtered away making bright lights.

3 comments:

Wyndi said...

wow you have been busy! The hike sounded wonderful! The weather was so nice today! I was hoping you enjoyed it!

Wyndi said...

i sent you an email of the house did you get it?

Shannon said...

Wyndi
I am super excited about the house. I am sorry I haven't replied. I barely get to read my email while Dad is here - I am either taking care of Wren, gardening, shopping, hiking or doing tourist activities. I am looking forward to being dull again soon.

Till then.. congratulations.