Wednesday, May 9, 2007

grandpa Peter Rabbit's visit

My week with Wren has been a treat and a surprise. He behaves just as one would expect a baby who had not experienced the trauma of an operation to do. Indeed he is doing things now that I did not notice when I arrived.

He is mouthing anything that he can get to grips with quite aggressively. He likes to be a part of family activities. The exercise of being carried around in the garden as we weed or dig is a treat for him for quite a long while and he rests in the carrier between activities. He seems to stay awake for longer periods when interesting things are happening and sleeps well afterwards.

He loves mobiles for a while, gazing enraptured at them, but the normal distractions given to babies have only limited appeal time. He is soon asking for more and Shannon is quick to oblige with feeds, rests or a walk around the house. His cycle of rest, play food seems to be shorter than I recall for our children but the difference I think is in the way Shannon chooses to manage Wren.



I have noticed far more lovely smiles in the past couple of days and squeals and grunts of pure happiness when he responds to attention. Wren seems to be growing in confidence by leaps and bounds. It is a pity that I shall miss so many stages of development before I see him again. When he looks deep into my eyes I cannot help thinking he is seeing a particular person and I wonder how long he will remember.

1 comment:

Wyndi said...

what a sweet post! I hope you all have a wonderful time visiting with each other!! What a wonderful picture of a very proud grandpa and dad:)