Sunday, April 8, 2007

Quick update

Wren has the sniffles. Frost has a sniffle. Josh has a sniffle and I have a sniffle. We are also sneezing. Josh says its allergies since spring has be suddenly thrust apon us. I don't know since I have never had allergies but its just my nose so he may be right.

Wren slept badly again last night but he now has his sniffle as the excuse.

I am making progress with the Great Milk Donation Drive. I have found two families that want it and now feel guilty denying either of them. I should take this up in therapy!

Spring break has begun and Frost and I have started reading about China. This is my plan to provide some overarching meaning to my days with two kids. This week we are going to learn about China. There is no real reason for doing this although Dad and Ingrid will be flying in to Hong Kong and Taipei on the 18th April and then Dad will be coming to visit us.

Tonight we read about Chinese calligraphy and how to count from 1 to ten in Mandarin. Frost wants to practice painting Chinese letters so we are going to buy some paint at the University bookstore tomorrow. That will be fun.

We are trying to streamline Frost's bedtime down from 2 books and teeth cleaning in the middle to TEETH then ONE BOOK. It is hard on me because I like book reading time but the general tension as Wren shouts and Frost jumps around the room trying to get some last minute lego built is mitigating my pleasure. Tonight it all ended badly as he tried to avoid getting into bed by running away and hiding and then was distraught when I ordered him to bed and didn't come when he cried (because I was nursing Wren). We had a heart to heart discussion about "feelings" and "helping" and "why we do things" and all is now well.

As I said to Josh, we have to honor Frost's feelings of self-righteous grief as well as point out that he is a being a tad unhelpful and there are other people in this family with their own needs.

I have need for ten minutes of book reading and chamomile tea before bed. The good omen is that Wren has not woken in the half hour since he was set down.

No comments: