Saturday, March 17, 2007

The carwash as womb

Our car has not been washed since Wren was born so today I vowed to drive it through the carwash two blocks from our house. I drive by it all the time but Wren is either yelling or asleep and neither seemed like the right moment - turns out I was wrong.

Wren was on the verge of sleep as I drove into the carwash. He had been fighting sleep for a while - all through my shopping trip to village maternity for a breast pump (since this head cold combo he will only nurse on one side, go figure) and in the Starbucks line while I waited for my tall-soy-decaf-latte. [Aside: why don't Starbucks offer a soy-milk selection. They make it with regular soy which is very sweet. Coffee tastes much better made with unsweetened soy!]

As soon as I drove into the carwash he went into a limp deep sleep. He slept so well that when we got home I cleaned the inside of the car while he stayed asleep in his carseat. Then I did the laundry. Then I sorted the laundry. Then I cleaned the inside of the laundry tub.

I put it down to the womblike watery wooshing of the carwash.

Wren is still sick - he has a very stuffed up nose and his eyes are still a bit goopy. He also has a cough and didn't sleep well the first half of the night but made up for it later on.

2 comments:

Wyndi said...

what a good idea! my car has not been cleaned in over a year, only reason I know this is because izzy is one, lol sad huh! You got alot done today congrats! Izzy is missing her grandparents and steven is working over 12 hours to make up for lost time at work so my day s a little rough but in a week izzy will hopefully be used to it being me and her again and let me set her down to play for some time on her own, currently she wants me holding her 24/7 her grandparents spoiled her big time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,

What a blessing! I know it's gratifying to get some things accomplished!

Breastfeeding tip: When your little one has a head cold, try breastfeeding in a closed bathroom with the shower running on full hot. If you stopper the tub, you will get more steam faster. With a couple of pillows the outside of the tub makes a passable backrest.

--
Tracy