Wednesday, February 28, 2007

He found his hands

Today, my 11 week Baby E-mail Newsletter warned me to look out for CARS, FALLS, BURNS, DROWNING and POISON. It reminded me a baby can drown in mere inches of water and that I should have the poison control number in my purse.

I know these are real concerns. In the past few days in my online community there have been at least 2 cases of babies falling off sofas and out of swings. I guess the babies start to be more agile and energetic right now.

Still, Wren is blissfully unconcerned about the perils awaiting him in the world. His big news is that he has found his hands. For the past few days he seems to be gnawing on his fists at any chance he gets. He is also much more successful in escaping from his swaddle and if he can't get his hands out he manages to gnaw them through the cotton. Of course, I can see the argument that we should stop swaddling him now but all this gnawing and mouthing his hands doesn't seem to calm him - he finds it very exciting, agitating even. A number of times I have put him down to nap and had to return a few times because he has got hold of his fists and is thrashing around and grunting half asleep. Take away the hands and he quiets down a lot better. Anyone have any idea how long swaddling can last? Since Wren is now 15lbs he is too fat to enfold easily in the regular receiving blankets but I manage by folding diagonal and having his feet poke out!

His clinic stats from yesterday were:
  • Weight: 15lbs 04ounces (95th percentile)

  • Length: 24.43 inches (85th percentile)

  • Head: 16" - (unknown percentile - I think it looks like just under 50th)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

He does look particularly robust in that picture. Do you think we can't see it or was he just slumped?

Btw.. you must read my next post about the fortune cookie. I think it will appeal to you too.