Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A note on prayer

I know we're not supposed to talk about politics and religion, let alone the politics of religion, but I have been thinking about it today so here goes.

See, when you have a sick child you want all the help you can get and kind people offer what they can to make things easier. They offer food, comfort and prayer. This puts me in a difficult position.

If there is a benign (or pissed-off) G-O-D up there I want him to help Wren. I am really keen that anyone who has a relationship with a God ask him or her or it to help Wren have a happy and healthy life. But I also feel guilty about this. I feel that its not fair that I hedge my bets this way when I am a buddhist who believes in a more general life force with less interest in a particular outcome for a particular life form. You know - its all interconnected so when we die our energy and our cells go someplace else. On earth.

Its difficult though. Sometimes the best thing we can offer has a feeling of prayer. I am watching the struggle of Ramona Mae, a little girl born a few weeks before Wren whose mother I met at an online Expecting Club for December babies. She has been diagnosed with a severe heart defect and is still in surgical recovery. Today, they found out she has DiGeorge syndrome - a chromosomal defect - on top of TOF with pulmonary atresia. Its tough. I know they are very religious and my impulse is to write "I am praying for you" but I'm not.

The same thing with my Aunt Rose who was recently diagnosed with brain cancer and has had brain surgery. She is doing well but it would feel better, easier, to write "You are in our prayers" at the end of an email. In various posts and emails to people in need I have written "you are in my thoughts", "best wishes", "hoping things turn out well" and "with metta". And sometimes I have cheated and written "I am praying things turn out well".

The thing is that prayer feels like a gift. Its showing a complete empathy of heart even when you don't actually touch someone. Its full of compassion. I am not sure how one sends metta (lovingkindness for buddhists) but I think it is also like prayer but directed as love rather than picking up a phone to call God. You just kind of send a wireless signal right to them.

I know there have been studies that show that prayer works. I am sure there are also studies that show that meditation works and that metta works. I am not sure that they work the same way or which works best but it feels a good thing to have lots of it going around and let everyone have their own go at it.

I've noticed that buddhists are very general in their metta - its about wishing balance into a situation of pain, of giving love unattached to outcome. Now Christians seem to pray in a very direct way. In Wren's case our prayer would be: "Please could you remove the muscular ridge on the left ventricular outflow tract and please let us see no problems with his mitral valve".

I was talking to our cardiologist today and mentioned that today's outcome was as good as could be hoped without a miraculous recovery but that since we were not devout at anything we hadn't expected that. He is Jewish. He mentioned that his previous patients had been praying about their child and his condition had actually improved... not just remained stable. I started to feel I had let Wren down.

Dammit, I should have been doing all this AND praying.

7 comments:

Wyndi said...

I think we all hope and pray and wish and send out god will,. there are so many differnt beliefs and so many views I don't think one is right or overpower another and all in all they aim for love and well being. People express thier desire for good by prayer or well wishes and that is what counts. in no way have you let wren down:) (I do think you where being sarcastic) he is so lucky to have you watching over him and loving him!

Anonymous said...

Glad the appointment went well. Sending you love and positive energy. :-)

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Shannon,

I happen to be a Christian who believes that prayer is "essential" in our lives to have help from God. I do believe that when a Christian prays that God does hear and answer our prayers. With that in mind, I will be praying for Wren--that God's will and plan for him will be done. I can whole heartedly say--"I will be praying for you and I know that God hears my prayers."

Leah

Shannon said...

Thanks Wyndi. How is Izzy doing today? I know that I appreciate the prayers and good thoughts people offer. But I what got me started is that I feel a bit guilty when people offer to pray. Because I don't share their beliefs.

Shannon said...

Leah
Thankyou for keeping Wren in your prayers. I hope this post doesn't offend you at all. It was not my intention to diminish the beliefs of those who pray - rather to explore my unease. What does it mean when a 'believer' prays for someone who does not share their beliefs? How does one respond? I guess no response is necessary other than my thanks.

tamusana said...

hey Shan - as you probably know, I'm an atheistic Jew-by-family-culture with a profound respect and awe for the forces of Nature. I do find myself on occasion saying that I'm "praying" that such-and-such will or won't happen, but I'm not praying to anyone in particular. I'm hoping, very strongly. I'm praying that, not praying to. Oh, and I'm really tired. I hope I won't read this tomorrow and wonder what on earth I was trying to say ;-)

love
Tam

David said...

Your post struck some familiar chords with me. My wife and I are friends with Ramona's mom & dad, Jane & Andy, and we've gone through our own less extreme ups and downs with the course of R's illness and treatment. And then there's the matter of prayer. My wife is a Christian of a very open and tolerant variety, the proof of which is that she married me nearly two years ago, someone who identifies strongly with Christian ethics and philosophy and life (having been raised in a liberal Protestant social-gospel sorta family) but who nonetheless struggles with the outright precepts and core beliefs (Nicene Creed, basically) of Christianity. I practiced Zen Buddhism for a number of years, a profound experience for me though now my meditation is usually of the breath counting-while-swimming laps variety, or steam room breath counting, or walking meditation. Not exactly "sitting," then. But about 8 years ago, my own illness-crisis forced me to consider the possibility of a Higher Power (you can guess what sorta crisis), which I now prefer to think of and refer to in my prayers as simply Great Spirit and Divine Creator, and occasionally the G word. I too am uncomfortable with the notion of a micromanaging Deity that heals some children and not others, blesses some major league power hitters with a particular game-winning RBI or that actress with a Daytime Emmy. Thus my prayers for Jane & Andy and Ramona and Simon are for the Spirit to be close to them that day, give them strength and comfort and peace no matter what happens. And now I'll be including you and Wren in those (thoughts and) prayers.