Sunday, January 28, 2007

RSV-P

You can stop feeling sorry for me now. I have just spent over an hour at a salon having a facial and getting my eyelashes tinted (thanks for the birthday present Mum!). People in crisis do not get their eyelashes tinted so things must be getting better.

Josh did not have such a great time as Wren is having trouble settling for naps. He used to have nice 2 hour naps every day but now he only catnaps for 10-45 minutes at a time and gets very worked up before he can manage even that. We are having some peace now as he naps in the Moby Wrap which seems to prolong the nap quite a bit for him but none for me.

Last night he was a little devil - not settling for long until midnight and then doing that grunty rem-sleep thing for hours before getting deeply asleep again around 6am. Frost woke me at the usual school-wake-up time with a few Warzone manuals and some sticker pictures he wanted me to admire. I was less than stellar in my parenting.

Meanwhile, Wren is due for his monthly RSV shot - I think I posted before about Synagis and he was scheduled for one the day after we came out of hospital. Because of the uncertainty it was cancelled and when I asked the ped card about it Dr Lewin said he didn't think it was necessary for Wren and kids have so many vaccinations anyway. This is kind of how I think but our pediatrician seemed to think Wren needed it. Ugh. These are the kinds of decisions I would rather not have to make.

I think I will round up some second and third opinions. Anyone?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aside from the expense and the nuisance factor of a shot, there are essentially no down sides to getting the Synagis shot. As much as Wren has been through, it is really not worth risking a bout of RSV. Not imperative, but certainly a nice benefit to put the odds in your favor.
Incidentally, is he maximally dosed on his reflux meds? Just curious since he is having such a difficult time settling. Take care. - Josephine

Shannon said...

Josephine
Wren is on Zantac. Our pediatrician increased his dose to the high end at our last appointment but we didn't get the refill prior to Wren being hospitalized. Then they gave us a new prescription there for a different dose (6.7 ml of the 15ML syryp 2X per day and Wren was 4.4kg at the time) so I don't really know what strength dose he's on. He has stopped really throwing up but he still spits up and gets hiccoughs regularly. I just don't have a feeling as to whether he's in discomfit from something like that.

Thanks for your 2c on the Synagis. I think we probably will do it early next week. The downside of being at a small pediatrics practice is they don't do it in the office unless you plan ahead so I have to go and get it done elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,
Most offices don't do Synagis on their own, it is often based at a hospital. Some agencies will come to your home, it depends upon your insurance and your doctor's office arrangements. As for reflux, the medicines don't have as much of an impact on the spitting up part, but if he is still having some acid reflux, then it would contribute to some discomfort. If Zantac is not sufficient, you could ask about Prevacid as well. Talk to you soon. Take care. - Josephine