Saturday, November 13, 2010

Are Werewolves Imaginary?

The to do list is done:
  1. FLU SHOT
  2. BUY FLOOD LIGHT TO REPLACE BLOWN ON IN KITCHEN
  3. BUY HENNA FOR HAIR
  4. DROP THINGS AT VALUE VILLAGE
  5. BUY THINGS AT VALUE VILLAGE
  6. EXCHANGE LIBRARY BOOKS
When we returned home I wanted to sit down with some fake coffee and Child-play-by-himself time but Wren stuck to me like glue, talking constantly about playing a game with him now, fighting etc etc.   I suggested he play at the table and tried to check my email but he followed and tried to set up a D&D army beneath my feet, I suggested he not sit right next to me.  He retorted:

Wren:  But I have to.  I am scared of Werewolves jumping out.

Me:  But you know Werewolves are imaginary, right?

Wren:  Werewolves are imaginary but [he pauses, for drama] they have scary faces.

Me:  No, you know what I mean?  They are not in this world.  They are things you think about but they are no real Werewolves.

Wren:  They are not real but they are imaginary!

I pondered that one for a bit.  I don't think real and imaginary are a dichotomy for Wren.  Perhaps imaginary is a sub-category of real, you know, there are REAL things which may be imaginary, manifest, visible, invisible, in this world [Seattle] or Granny's World [Adelaide] or Grandad's World [South Africa] or Warhammer World [on the internet or in a book.]

I tried another approach.

Me:  Just as long as you know that there are none in our house.

Wren:  BUT  WELL,  MUUUUM  [long pause as he looks at me with exasperation]... They are imaginary but when one hits our glass window it will break at the top and go into slow motion and break through ggghhhaaaa...!


 He returns to working on his setup, happy to be underfoot.

1 comment:

nautilus said...

He is lovely and i miss him. Such a fresh view of the world