Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The incredibly favorite dinner

After a long period in which the children would not eat anything without threats and cajoling, tonight I scored a home run.

Frost started by saying:

"OH MY GOD, this is the best gravy I HAVE EVER TASTED!"

Wren soon followed with "This is incredibly my favorite dinner EVER!"

After a long period of silent eating... yes, you read it, S-I-L-E-N-T E-A-T-I-N-G, they had a conversation with each other about how wonderful it was and how they would like to eat it every night.

Their shared appreciation of dinner started to spiral in a rhapsodic fashion. My obvious pleasure led to even more goodwill. They both finished their meals and they had a small glass of mango juice and one maple syrup cookie for desert.

Frost remembered to clear the table, without prompting. He then THANKED ME for cooking dinner. In the bliss of goodwill, Frost asked whether he could give Wren his cookie and Wren said "thank you."

Ten minutes later, Wren has just added to me "Thank you Mum, that was the BEST dinner I have ever tried."

So, here it is in all its simplicity.



The Incredibly Favorite Dinner

Trader Joe's Chicken Gyoza [This is being used up until I switch to a vegetarian one. Hope that goes down as well]
Steamed white sushi rice.
Age-dashi tofu gravy [made with clear stock, mirin and soy sauce then thickened with starch] over rice and veg.
Steamed broccoli & sliced carrots.
Shelled endamame

No comments: