Sunday, January 17, 2010

Joshua, the ice-cream god

Joshua has been making more ice-cream, anticipating our lunch tomorrow. Yesterday he made a batch of salted caramel ice-cream and it was easily as good as Molly Moon although there were some points at which I felt doubt. In the first batch the custard curdled, the caramel went to the hard crack point (I suspect, I mean, it was like brittle) and took some time to melt into the cream. Still, everyone in our family was in raptures when the pint container was full and there was about half a cup left in the bottom of the bowl.

Frost: Can I make my own blog. I want to say something "YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY ICECREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I have made some pumpkin pies with our fall squash and have a godawfully large looking standing rib roast in the fridge. Friends assure me it is not at all large by standing rib roast standards but I am frightfully aware of having a big bit of dead cow in the fridge. Wren did not make the process any easier when we were shopping at Whole Foods. As we stood in front of the meat cabinets he noticed the glass fronted fridges with the dry aged meats carcasses hanging on hooks.

"Is that dead meat?" he asked loudly.
"Yes" I said. Its meat.
"What animal did they kill?" he asked.
I was getting some stares of interest from the compassionate consumers around us.
I said that they were "cows and sheep" choosing not to mention buffalo, chicken, duck, turkey and pig. It was starting to feel like a macabre version of Old MacDonald.

They wrapped the roast in brown paper and Wren wanted to "hold that dead meat" but it was a bit heavy.

The butcher said "that is going to be delicious". I didn't say anything but I was thinking tha there was part of the sentence missing. What he meant was "if you cook that piece of meat well it has the potential to be delicious."

I hope I realize its potential.

No comments: