Monday, May 25, 2009

Eating too much fennel

I asked Frost if he would come with me to the Farmer's Market on Saturday. He said he would come if we went by bicycle. I love to ride and Wren was ecstatic - he ran about saying "go NOW" even though he was in his pjs.

The problem with going by bike is that its hard to buy anything because the child-seat on the back prevents me from using panniers so we had to be quite picky. We bought some squeaky cheese, honey sticks, cannoli, BBQ sauce, morels, fiddleheads (fern fronds), local artisan cheese and some fruit and veggies.

Here are my shopping team on the bikes stopping at Whole Foods for some choc-chips to make cookies.

Frost with the BBQ sauce. They were holding cooking demonstration with BBQ sauces and Frost liked this one but ate it on a piece of bread because he is becoming increasingly vegetarian, retreating even from hot dogs and teriyaki chicken.

The next picture needs some introduction. Wren has a mouthful of fennel. I think I mentioned that Wren is interested in edible plants. He has learned to recognize mint, fennel and tomatoes and sees them along the road. Fennel is particularly large and prolific in the area and whenever Wren spotted a bush he yelled out "FENNEL" and we had to stop for a handful. The amazing thing is that he eats it all up!

No comments: