Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bung fritz

I was at the butcher this afternoon buying lamb shanks for a ragu. Wren was very hungry and excited about the sausages so I bought a few for dinner.

"Eat them now!" he said

The butcher noticed and asked if we "want some fritz?"

I said "yes" because it was something free and in the context I felt it was likely to be edible. Indeed it was. He handed Wren a thick slice of something like polony which turned out to be bung fritz an Adelaide speciality, variously described as "processed sandwich sausage" and "devon" (a Sydney word for it). An online forum ominously listed fritz ingredients as "about 50% soy meat extender and some spices. The rest is emulsified pig bits, the bits the couldn't otherwise sell." I choose to believe that bung fritz from the speciality butcher is better bits. They do say that South Australian bung fritz is the best fritz around.

It looks like this:


Wren loved the fritz. He is not a big eater but ate the whole thick slice within 5 minutes. I went back for another three slices. The fritz eating attracted attention. When Wren mentioned to the lady in the chemist (aka drugstore) that he didn't like the skin, she said "he should have taken that off for you." Apparently I didn't tell the butcher we were going to eat it now or he would have skinned it. Wren learned to remove the yellow wrapping.

While walking back to the car an elderly man sitting in the sun outside the bakery commented "he likes his fritz" when he saw Wren eating the second slice. I laughed like I knew what all the fuss was about.

I tasted it in the car. It tastes like polony too.

Update
Josh has made it onto the Qantas International connection from LAX. He says he had no time to sit down between flights - it was straight through security and then onto boarding. I am glad I didn't have a tight connection with the kids. We pick up Josh at the airport tomorrow on the way to Port Julia on the York Penninsula.

No comments: