Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Shall we eat otters?

Wren enjoys paging through books that are not-for-kids. These are large, lavishly illustrated and heavy. It is easy for him to rip pages. Right now he is looking at the Soup Bible - which is one of my favorite recipe books these days. We are looking at the first chapter which shows and talks about Ingredients.

Wren says, "I doan know what dats is?" He is pointing at whole plucked chickens on a wooden counter. I explain they are chickens for soup.
"I buy them at store." I think he has seen them at the supermarket and I agree. We move to seafood. I ask him whether he would eat a crab and he seems confused. Next, Wren sees a basin of large fish

"I want eat dose otters!"

They do look a bit like otters, lying side by side in the tray but are in fact large fish. Wren looks carefully "salmon? BIIIG Salmon!" he suggests. Yes, I say. "Salmon."

Wren fetches his toy food and a small pan from the kitchen. He is making soup for skeleton but it is "not ready yet little keleton." There is in fact a little skeleton who is at the feet of big skeleton. Big skeleton is "daddy" and "little 'keleton is Wen Ben."

1 comment:

Sidereal said...

Big skeleton looks malnourished. He needs soup soon!