Friday, January 16, 2009

Dizzy Lizzy / Lazy Daizy

My mother is back from vacation and I shall have to resume my daily postings on the grandchildren. Mum has this super cheap "phone card" which is great but for the haunted house echo which has us speaking on top of each other or fading in and out from time to time. I need to write so she knows what I am talking about. Actually, I don't have time to post much now other than to say that all of us are well and have been enjoying some rare sunshine and walks.

This afternoon at 4.30pm Frost said "God, what time is it? Its so light?" When I told him the time he was stunned. "But its not dark?" he said. I explained that it had been weeks since we had much sun and he wasn't used to it staying light a bit longer. Wren looked out the window and said "go outside" which he did.

Seattle Children's Museum
This morning I took Wren to the Children's Museum. It was his first visit and he enjoyed the Imagination Art Studio and the car you can drive best. I have some lovely pictures of him painting. He also made a collage on an old LP. Strangely, the material that the children were given to cut collage from was National Geographic Magazines from the 1950s and 60s. One, from 1953 had an article about a trip down through Africa and included a story and pictures on Cape Town and Durban. I cut out some pictures from Muizenberg Beach in 1953 and stuck them on Wren's LP. I also tore out some sections to take home. There was another fascinating article in the 1966 edition. Apparently in March 1966 (shortly before I was born) Scientists in Seattle captured an Orca and kept it 'sea caged' at the wharf for tourists to watch. Bizarre. I am thinking of sending the article (which I stole from the toddlers snippety snip) to the Seattle Times (since the PI is closing) to do a follow-up story. Orcas are always in the local news!

Support Group for Shones Syndrome
I have started a google group for families with children who have Shones Syndrome. I have been learning a lot from email contact with a few of them and hope that others will join and inspire and inform with their experiences. Here is the group link. We have no posts yet but a few members.

http://groups.google.com/group/shones-support

No comments: