Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bedtime again

I felt quite depressed this evening thinking about the moderate gradient across the AV.

I spoke with the surgical fellow in the unit this evening about my concerns and he feels that its still a great improvement and better than doing a kono at this point.

Apparently taking down and redoing a kono is a big deal and it is preferable to do the initial kono with a larger heart to minimize the chance of damage. If Wren's aortic root continues to grow well it may even need no enlargement to have a valve replacement (I don't believe he was remembering Wren's case history when he suggested this, I have little hope of lasting that long prior to valve replacement BUT it was nice to feel that sense of options and not knowing instead of a sense of gloom). He said that Wren's AV was small and even a 16mm St Jude's valve may have been a stretch to insert.

I guess its good to air your fears because this is where we are now and we will face what comes next, next. Right?

I was talking about this with Carrie (mother of the 8 year old Meagan) whose daughter is having her 3rd surgery. She says that she feels you have to just face one surgery at a time and while its harder when the child is older, you are also better prepared.

Before we left I ran into her with a cup of 10 goldfish. She is bribing Meagan to eat 10 goldfish with the promise of having a pet mouse when they get home.

Ah, it makes me want a rat. Then again, even my RAT needed surgery (she developed mammary cysts) and that was traumatic in itself. No new pets. Wild free things only.

2 comments:

The Portas said...

I read that about 12 times, trying to figure out why she would want her daughter to eat goldfish. Goldfish crackers, I hope?

Praying for a good day for you. Elijah and I said a special little prayer for you guys last night. :)

xoxoxo

tamusana said...

Me too - not only was I surprised by the compulsion for her daughter to eat goldfish, I was also wondering how they prepare that mouse at home to make it so irresistible (grilled? stewed?). And that got me wondering whether goldfish and mice would be good incentives for Kenji, who lives for the next "prezzie." :-)