Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wrenisms - updated.

Frost has been telling his friends Wren's 'joke'. It goes like this:

Wren is sitting on a spot in the kitchen near a vent. He points down the heating vent in the floor.
"Baby gone DOW-IN!" he says.

I open the vent with a fork expecting to find a toy he has dropped in the hole. I look down and say "there's nothing down here" and look at him to check what he meant.
Wren gets a big smile and points at himself "Bay-bee RIGHT HERE"
I laugh.
He laughs.

Wren repeats this joke at least 10 times and still does not tire of it.

Rhythms and routines
Wren has learned that I nurse him twice at night. This makes for really strange waking times. If he wakes at 3.30am for the first time and is nursed back to sleep, he wakes for the day at 5am sharp (90 minutes after first nursing) but if he sleeps until 5am before waking he wakes for the day at 6.30am. - a quite respectable hour.

At second waking he nurses before getting up for the day. Recently, he has begun to talk to me in the dark. Here is his morning commentary on second nursing:

Mummy not go-ing
Mummy staying nuggle wren.
Staying MILK!

A few minutes later its light on and quiet playtime as I hope to keep the others asleep slightly longer.

We are playing with the trains.

Wren says "Tain go BACKwat!
Tain go UP 'and!"

The train has driven up his hand.

Wren-do-not-do-it
While playing cars we discover a small wooden car missing three tyres. I mention that its broken because Wren bit off the tyres. The car has one tyre left.

Wren says: "Not bite that one. Wren do-not-do-it! BRO-ken."

Differentiation of things
Later, Wren is playing with his cars. He wants to know what each car is called. He asks "what this?" I tell him "Rocket car" and he tells me "see rocket go up. Big rocket." remembering the Freemont Rocket I showed him last week.

He now differentiates rocket cars, race cars, Mummy cars (blue minivans), Daddy cars (subarus), Heather car (Kia sedans), tucks (trucks) and diggers / rollers / bulldozers of various kinds.

He has also started to name di-nors (dinosaurs). This morning he asked me "what's this?" for each type of dinosaur. He can now name "T-rex", "'plod-cus" and "wooly ri-no". He has trouble with stegasaurus, triceratops and elasmosaur. We will continue to work on this vocabulary. One dream we have is of doing a road trip to Glacier next summer, maybe as far as Dakota. We would dig for fossils and look at the dinosaur museums. Wren would like this although he would not like too long in the car.

I = Wren
In another recent development, Wren has started to say "I". He says "I do it!" and "I have it" and "I go down."

The Big Snake
Today we went to Top Ten Toys on a mission to buy a very BIG elephant. When we got there Wren held the elephant affectionately for a short while and then carefully put it back in its box on the shelf. "All done" he said, taking down a very large black and red striped snake. "Take it home!" he announced and walked off with the snake.

I added a family of lemurs to our basket and Frost spent his accumulated allowance on a Playmobil shipwreck with a band of pirates. Everyone was very satisfied.

On the way home Wren kept crying out and saying "owie". At a red light I was able to turn around. He was holding his hand in the snakes mouth, making it bite him and fake crying. I told the snake to "Stop biting Wren!" which seemed to solve the problem.

Diggers gone wild
When we came home Wren walked outside and said "Garden, now." Yesterday I was weeding and cleared a large patch of garden bed that used to be full of wilting crocosmia. Wren loves the exposed earth and takes his diggers to work there while I weed in other areas. He also likes to hide his diggers in the shrubbery which is how we are now one bulldozer down. It went "hiding" and is now "all gone."

No comments: