Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Weekend at the hive

This weekend a strong windstorm swept through Seattle. While Joshua painted the kitchen lime green (aka Lime Twist) the gale tossed Wren's garden chairs about and lifted the hammock up like a parachute. The trunk of the big black walnut tree was swaying about a foot against the fence and at Frost's soccer match unattended balls were being blown off the field.

Painting is Complete
Despite the dreary and tumultuous weather, we got a lot done. The kitchen is now a very pleasing shade of green and I have almost recovered from the mess. Wren and Frost and I went for a bicycle ride to Top Pot Donuts and Wren ate almost an entire pink iced cake donut while Frost could stomach only half a "feather boa" donut frosted with chocolate icing and flaked coconut.



CHD Support Group Meeting
I attended the Heart to Heart support group meeting at Children's on Sunday afternoon. It was a longer meeting than usual because we had three new families in attendance. One is expecting a baby with tricuspid atresia, another has a 2 month old born with HRHS who has undergone the first of the three-stage Norwood procedure and the third has an almost 3-month old baby who has been waiting for a heart transplant since birth. I felt very sad and helpless hearing the story of Baby Mia - told by her quite remarkable parents. Mia has hung on for a long time waiting for a heart. The usual wait is 6-8 weeks for an infant and she has had to go so much longer than that. I know it seems 'good' when another baby hasn't had to die for her to receive her heart. However, the sad fact is that a number of babies died in that period but for whatever reason their parents have not listed them as organ donors. It is an awful process but Mia is still waiting for her gift of life while her parents live out of the closet-sized family rooms at Children's Hospital.

8 Hours Sleep for 2 Consecutive Nights
I should close on a this cheerful note. For the past two nights I have slept beautifully. I have gone to bed around 10.30pm and merely stirred when Josh came to sleep. Wren has woken for the first time around 5.15am and after nursing he has gone back to sleep until 7am on both days.

It has been delightful. I am full of energy and clarity. This is the best sleep I have had in more than a year!

Flights are booked
On an operational note. I have not yet spoken with Dr Lewin regarding our decision. I am fine with that - I suspect we are both all talked out. Meanwhile, I have booked us flights to leave Seattle on November 5th at noon. Josh - get your voting done early! We should arrive in CA by 2pm and have time to explore and be in our room in time to watch election results roll in after dinner.

No comments: