Friday, March 14, 2008

Hair up his wazzoo

I have just thrown a sock and a dishcloth in the general direction of the kitchen. This is not an angry gesture, they were left over from the laundry. Its just that I am so tired I can't be bothered to move my body from this propped up position on my stool.

Wren has no fever today! That is the fabulous news. However, something is still bugging him. As I have learned to say in the US of A "he has a hair up his arse". Being age appropriate I could update the saying to "he has a bug in his diaper" or "a blockage in his bottle" or "he's trying to shove the cube in the round hole." You get the idea. He uses his shrill shout often

He also seems to have some pain or discomfit when nursing. He is usually very happy to nurse and wants to nurse much more often since he became sick. However, after a few sucks he often starts screaming and arching his back. I have considered these option but none makes sense all the time:

1) Not enough milk (but at times there is a ton and he does it)
2) Sore throat (but I have offered water and he doesn't scream)
3) Sore sucking (mouth?)
4) Sore tummy? (seems too soon after trying to nurse)

Perhaps it is a few of these factors at different times and he can't tell me any other way.

Anyway, thanks for your concern. He is doing better. Last night was better and I hope tomorrow will be too. Still, I am very tired from carrying him around and catering to his every whim under threat of screeching. This afternoon Frost came home from school with a bleeding graze which needed tending. As soon as I paid attention to Frost Wren started whimpering and then yelling. I put him in the crib and shut the door.

There was a tangible sense of relief (outside the door) while I bathed, treated and bandaged Frost's hand. Then it was back to the monkey who was yelling. Thing was, he was exhausted but resisted all attempts to get a second nap in. He will have been up for 7 hours straight by bedtime.

I guess it was another one of those days.

1 comment:

Wyndi said...

i hope wren is feeling better and more comfortable today and that you all got some rest last night. Izzy had a fever this last week also! i wonder if there was a ill child at the museum on Saturday? who knows hmm, we are going to have time off playgroup and would love to get together soon:) email or call

wyndilee at yahoo dot com