Thursday, March 20, 2008

Frost, the president and the J-word

Frost and I have some of our best conversations in the car. This morning, driving to school, he asked:

"How old do you have to be to vote in the election?"

I replied that I thought you had to be eighteen.

"That's not fair!" he said. "Everyone should be able to vote."

"Who would you vote for?" I asked.

"Probably Obama."

"Why?"

"No reason really."

"Well," I said (wearing my Clever Parenting hat) "that's probably why you have to be 18 to vote - you need to have a reason why you are voting for a president."

"Hmmm" said Frost. Then there was a pause. "Actually, I do have a reason. All my friends and my family are voting for Obama and I like to be part of my friends and family so I would vote for him to be part of it."

"Uh huh" I said. "That's a good reason for a kid but its better if you know something about the candidates and decide what you like and don't like about them."

"Oh!" Frost sounded pleased. "Actually, I do have some reason thats presidental. HILLARY WANTS WAR! Obama doesn't want war. That is why I would vote for Obama!"

"Why do you think Hillary wants war?"

"I dunno. I heard it somewhere. Maybe Fred told me. Or Alex. Hillary is being the J-word!"

Me: "The J-word?"

Frost: "You know, the J-word"

Me: "No, I don't know. What's the J word?"

Frost whispers so Wren can't hear: "Jerk"

Me: "Oh, jerk."

[long pause while parenting responses are considered]

Me: I don't think Hillary Clinton or Obama are being jerks really, they would both be good presidents. Its just a competition about who might be president right now so people say good and bad things about each candidate to try and persuade you they are right.

[long pause as we drive around Greenlake]

Frost: Why can grownups say the J-word but kids can't? Why can grown-ups swear and kids can't?

Me: Well, no-one should swear really. They should try and use words to describe what they mean but you can't really tell grownups what to do so sometimes they are a bit lazy and just use a swear word instead of explaining their feelings. But nobody should swear so grownups ask kids not to. Also, some people get angry with kids and grownups if they swear and think you are not such a nice person.

Frost: 'Cos when Joshua was talking about Hillary he said she was being the J-word!

1 comment:

Jane said...

So funny Shannon,

I always enjoy your Frost transcriptions. I don't know how you manage to so faithfully capture how clever he is. I'd like to meet him someday and hear some of his quips firsthand.

Off topic, glad to see Frost is eating well, that must be a relief.

Thinking of you...