Saturday, December 29, 2007

Strep Infection

Last night Wren woke crying at 10.30pm and despite soothing, singing and rocking he could not get back to sleep until 2am. At that point Josh and I were slouching on the couch in the dark while Wren tossed and flopped to find a comfortable spot on our laps. Eventually, he settled back to sleep (after Tylenol) and we managed to transfer him to his crib. He nursed at 6am and we all slept in till 8. During the night we couldn't find what was bothering him although he was grasping at his diaper a lot and crying as if in pain. He also seemed just exhausted we were confused.

This morning he was okay but wouldn't let me carry him over my hip. He didn't sit on his bottom but sat sideways instead. When I did diaper change I noticed he had a lot of redness and blotching in his groin and diaper area that looked different to a diaper rash so I called the pediatrician to see if they would see him this morning. It was clear he was in pain from whatever it was.

Turns out he has a strep infection in the groin area. I don't know how it got in but due to the tenderness, spread and some mild inflammation the ped thinks it may be in the tissues and he is on oral antibiotics as well as a topical one. I don't think this will help us manage the yeast infection we are just over.

The ped said this is fairly common and not to worry about it unless it worsens while on antibiotics or is not gone by Monday. I have called our naturopath to see Wren next week because this seems a bit much to have a yeast infection and now strep for the second time (in our family) in 6 months.

The naturopath suggests that we give Wren some sacromyces Florstar which is a kind of acidophilos you can take during antibiotics. That should reduce the whole risk of fungal infection.

2 comments:

Wyndi said...

Wow I am sorry that he was feeling so uncomfortable and hope that he is feeling better now and that you all got some rest last night. I hope that he avoids a yeast infection form the antibiotics too! the Christmas pictures looks so fun! i hope you had a happy holiday! wyndi

Shannon said...

Thanks Wyndi
I am feeling better about it too. I am looking forward to the wedding. You must be so busy now :)