Monday, November 5, 2007

Like greased lightning

Wren does not like me to go out of his sight so when I had to do the laundry I put him in the sling and carried him and the huge pile of laundry to the basement. Wren helped me pull the laundry out of the basket but when I had finished stuffing it into the washer he motor-crawled out of the laundry into the basement. I quickly poured in soap and pressed start before following him.

I found him 4 steps UP the basement stairs with a horse chestnut in his hand. He kept on going full speed to the top with me following close behind.

What was the hurry?

He had left a half chewed Swedish Fish on the carpet when I picked him up. It had been dropped from Frost's stash of Halloween candy. He picked it up and looked up, pleased.

Wren has been enjoying a wider range of food recently (including the candy fish) due to my decision to allow him wheat, a bit of dairy and some fish. Josh has felt its okay to give him these things but I have been vacillating between naturopath advice to hold off until age 1 or more and pediatricians who seem to advocate excluding different foods. Our pediatrician says no fish but wheat okay. The Current Time magazine even talks of introducing peanut butter before age 1 (verboten in the US but not in most African and many SE ASian countries) to try and reduce peanut allergies. This is all speculation but shows how little science is in the current dietary restrictions for Western infants.

Wren had French toast for breakfast. It was wheat toast made with milk and whole egg. He thought it was delicious and washed it down with pear sauce and baby cereal.

2 comments:

Wyndi said...

I PUT PUMPKIN, SWEET POTATOE OR FRUIT PUREE IN THE FRENCH TOAST BATTER INSTEAD OF MILK I think it tastes great and izzy likes it too:) I just sprinkle it with a little powdered sugar instead of syrup and in little stick like slices, it gets a little extra fruit into our diet :)

Shannon said...

That's a really good idea. I think he would like that just as much and I have lots of sweet pumpkin puree and frozen pear puree in the fridge.

Next time I will try it.

Thanks!