Thursday, November 8, 2007

First haircut, first sleeping through the night

Yesterday, I trimmed Wren's hair for the first time. He looks very boyish and sweet with blunt and crooked bangs and tufts of hair sticking out at the nape of his neck. He was very tolerant and I kept my eyes on the goal of not paying $22 dollars for a 10 month olds haircut. It took about 3 minutes so it was money well saved.

That night Wren went to bed at 7.30pm and I woke at 4am wondering what had happened to him. Usually, I wake around 1.30am when he cries and Josh goes in to try and settle him. Lately, it has been hard so I have often got up and nursed him back to sleep at this time. Afterwards, I remove the earplugs I put in at bedtime in an attempt to get 3 hours uninterrupted sleep.

Last night I still had my earplugs in at 4am - that is 6 hours of sleep (the longest stretch since Wren was born).

I crept into Wren's room to see how he was. I felt quite wide awake and frisky after my good nights sleep so I was a bit disappointed to see him sleeping deeply. I considered waking him to nurse so he would sleep in but then became curious to see how long he would sleep.

It took me a long time to get back to sleep because I was so well rested. Eventually I managed to do it by remembering the dream I was having when I woke up and returning to it and continuing it voluntarily. This had the desired effect and I woke again to Wren (crying) at 5.15am. So Wren slept from 7.30pm till 5.15am without waking Josh or I. I am slightly suspicious that he cried and I didn't hear him but it can't have been for long or Josh would have woken.

Now, fingers crossed that he does well tonight too.

No comments: