Monday, July 23, 2007

Why I paid my child $5 to put his hand in a public toilet

Today we have been unpacking the car and repacking the house with all our toys, wine, children and dirty clothes. I have at least 4 loads of laundry waiting but have done a quick milk and bread and vegie meatballs run to Trader Joes.

The good news is that everything made it home except my pillow. How my pillow was lost is a matter of conjecture. It recall putting it on the roof of the car as I repacked at a rest stop. I don't recall putting it back in. The novel I was reading has also mysteriously vanished. How we could drive off without noticing a bright yellow pillow with blue stars is... well... we were tired. It was a long day. We slept well last night in the usual 3 hour increments of Wren's way.

There was one other rest stop incident that deserves mention. Since I carry Wren about a lot I have taken to leaving my purse in the car and carrying my car keys tucked into my waistband. They have a long leather keyring strip which I tuck in and the keys hang out the back. This is only when I need a hands free moment mind you! At one rest-stop on the way to CA I took Frost to the public bathroom. The automatic flush toilet didn't detect him sitting on it (too short?) and kept flushing loudly which alarmed him so I leant over to hold my hand over the red eye. When he was done I lifted my hand and it flushed VOOOOOOOORM. I heard a clink and looked around on the floor for my keys. They were nowhere to be seen. I looked in the toilet and there they were in the bowl.

Now these rest stop toilets are not the usual delicate variety we have at home. They are stainless steel beasts with narrow gullets and try as I might i could not get my hand down the hole at the bottom to retrieve my keys. Added to the pressure was the fact that I was scared the automatic flusher would go and suck my carkeys down into the sewer so I had to stay at the toilet with my hand over the malevolent red eye. Frost was looking on in consternation. I showed him my keys. I said "I will give you five dollars if you stick your hand down there and get my keys".

He did.

I scoured him with that pink soap for ages afterwards and stopped Wren chewing on my keys. When we got to the motel I washed the keys repeatedly. Frost spent the $5 on chocolate which he has yet to finish. He had some on smores this evening.

10 days have passed and no-one has come down with cholera or giardia or some unknown reststoptoiletitis. Phew.

Today Wren explored the living room with his new crawling skills. He makes little hops, lunges and some steady crawling steps. He travels a remarkable distance and babyproofing is proceeding as fast as I can anticipate danger. He loves to find things on the coffee table and tug and chew wires so those are among the first thigns to be taped down.

Tomorrow is his first cardiology clinic in 4 months. I am hopeful but apprehensive. Wish us luck. I don't know how we will keep him still enough fora good image. All he wants to do is roll and sit and crawl.

2 comments:

Wyndi said...

your too funny! I am glad you got your keys! Frost earned that chocolate for sure!!! :)

We will be keeping you in our thoughts tomorrow and hoping for wonderful news. After izzy's last card apt i understood some of her trouble sots and she seems to have more in common with wren. Her LVOT is narrow and they are watching it closely. her mitral valve is prolapsing mild to moderate and the LVOT might be causing this so they increased her meds once again to help preserve her valve. I really ope that her LVOT grows with her and doesn't cause more damage to her mitral valve. the whole keeping him still part is rough. We try to give izzy a bottle during her echos and then try anything possible to keep her still. her last one was sedated( first sedated one) she did well with sedation but her next will not be sedated because they got good images with out it even though she was a wiggle worm. so wiggling and sedated gave them the same results, same pressures noted so hopefully this will be offer some reassurance with wren if he wiggles a lot. They will do their best to get a good image and even if it seems impossible to get it can happen:)

Shannon said...

Hey Wyndi.. thanks for the good thoughts. I am sorry to hear that Izzy also has LVOT troubles and that this might be causing the mitral valve prolapse. I haven't been told that this can happen... perhaps because Wren's mitral valve is only very slightly abnormal. I hope we don't see any change there.

Its really interesting that they saw similar results sedated and wriggling although I guess I am always hoping that the wriggling or crying ones will be "worse" than the sedated ones because I was told crying and being upset can increase turbulenc.e

Anyway, its today and we shall know more later. Our appointment is at 10am so we should be home after lunch.