Friday, June 22, 2007

Night Weaning?

Here is the copy of my 4.00am post to the Sleep Training Discussion Board. It is now 6.08am and I have been up for 15 minutes. Wren thinks its great.

--------------------------

My mood is probably due to the fact I have been awake since 2.30am and probably will get an hour more sleep if I am lucky. The past week, Wren wakes and cries a few times a night and resettles himself. Since he is in our room I wake and don't resettle as easily (although I am quieter about it). Finally, at 4am I nurse him and then he wakes at 5am and 5.30 and is pretty much up at 6am. That means I barely sleep from 4am on.

He goes to bed quietly at 7.30pm (taking 3 1 hour+ naps).
He rouses sometimes around 9.30pm, cries and settles quickly.
He wakes around/after midnight-1am and I nurse him.
Again 2-3ish (resettles himself)
2.30 - 5 year old woken by baby comes into room
3am - 5 year old kicking and rolling wakes Wren.
3.30 - I take 5 year old back to his room where he says he has a sore leg. Give Tylenol.
4ish again Wren wakes.
4-5ish I nurse him for a short while (4 mins). Put him in crib. He is pissed off at the short nursing.
Resettles in 5 minutes loud crying.
Will probably wake in one hour.

I want to night wean him immediately, right now, before I move out and join a colony of mothers who gave up on sleep training and hit the road. I am so utterly fed up with him at night.

I have the idea (wrong or not?) that he has no idea when he gets to eat at night and so wakes every time and cries a bit to check whether this is the time he gets to eat. My only solution is NONE. Is there another way?

Please share night weaning experiences because I fear I am about to embark on it in a spirit of frustration and do it the hard way.

Shannon

No comments: