Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sleep Setbacks - Night 3

Last night was a bit harder than the previous one. Clever Wren managed to time all three of his wakings almost exactly at the time I had scheduled his nursings [woke at 10.10 for the 10pm one which was late, at 12.54 for the 1am one and at 4.15 for the 4am one which I had shifted later too]. Since the plan is very clear - we must not "reward" night wakings with the boob - he had to put himself back to sleep three noisy times (15 mins) before I picked him up to nurse him in his sleep about 15 minutes later.

Obviously, I need to move these back earlier and try and catch him still asleep in case he is waking from hunger.

Then he woke for the day at 5.45am and despite 30 minutes of crying he did not go back to sleep. I got him up at 6.15am because that is when he has woken 2 of the past few days and I felt the odds of him going back to sleep anytime soon were low.

Since all is not about sleep I will mention Memorial Day. We had our friends Sarah, Shawn and kids London and Piper over and cooked some food for dinner. It was very laid back and we had sausages and mash with ratatouille. Frost and London played very well. Their favorite games involve throwing toy cars down the slide and chasing the cats. That left us to manage the younger siblings. Shawn and Sarah are looking for a new house and while that will be fun I know we will miss their willingness to come up here when they are all moved and nesting. I guess that pretty soon it will be easier for us to put Wren down to nap elsewhere. Right now I am feeling a bit chained to the (and relieved by) schedule and consistency.

Wren has been perfecting his roll (one direction only) forward and back and wants to grab anything in front of him. Yesterday he was very entertained trying to grab Josh's nose and he loves nothing better than to dig his fists into Frosts hair (or mine). Frost likes that and then yells "help, help me!" when he really can't get free. Wren also likes to grope the cats and was lucky enough to be presented with a cat tail to grab when Joshua was showing him how to pet the cats. It is lovely to see how he is able to notice things that are not just close by and are not necessarily bright colors. Things like cats and noses would not have garnered his attention a few weeks ago.

1 comment:

Wyndi said...

I was hoping that you got some sleep last nigt I can't imagine how hard it is to be so tired and pulled in so many directions. I hope that you get to enjoy the sun today:) I love to read the Wren is rolling and getting so big! I can relate to frost and needing help getting the baby untangled from my hair! It hurts!! Izzy's cousins let her do it to them too:) boys are willing for that huh:)