Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Jump Slip and Bang aka Spring Break Day 2

Frost: "I will show you this game I made up called the Jump, Slip and Bang. First I like jump, then I slip across the room [carpet] and then I get up and jump on the couch and hit my head on the back and then I jump and stand up again"

Frost has again showed great ingenuity in the face of a boring recuperating mother. When the cleaner arrived at noon she complimented me on my pants which were actually my pajamas - black velour with pink stars on. These are the same pjs that I wore to fetch Josh unexpectedly one night after which he warned me I was close to driving a van and wearing a pink track suit and uggs all day (I have asked him to do an intervention if I ever reach this point.)

Wren continues to eat scantily during the day and eagerly all night. I am not sure at what point to put a stop to this. I think I will wait till this cough and cold subside. I am always excusing him for his sleep negligence and waiting for that perfect moment to insinuate Plan B. It never comes - to paraphrase the old hikers dictum - "there is always another cold."

Frost's most ingenious game of the day was called Jumping Numbers. In this game he stood on a bar stool perched above the living room persian carpet and leapt off it onto various points on the carpet. If he landed on the central medallion it was 50 points, a flower off left was 100 points and a particular blue line was even more. Level 2 of this game involved writing numbers on tiny paper squares and laying these all around the carpet then trying to jump on them. The problem with level 2 was the arithmetical challenge of adding 10 000 and infinity to 100 and 55 was too great so I was called on to assist.

Frost is very keen on numbers thesedays and particularly on the notion that numbers don't start anyway. I have lobbied for recognition of ZERO as the point of origination but he asserts that since negative numbers exist that numbers never begin or end. He even made his first totally geek joke:

"The boy couldn't even count to one!" [laughing at his wit]

Meanwhile, digging through the zipper pouch from school I found a journal activity Frost completed. The task was to fill in the blanks on the following sentence and illustrate it:
"My ---------- loves me even when I -------------"

Frost filled it in as follows:
"My baby brother loves me even when I hit him with pillows"

It was illustrated with a picture of Wren on his wedge being bludgeoned with a pillow. I do not know what his teachers think but CPS has not yet arrived to interview me so I presume they take it with a grain of salt.

2 comments:

tamusana said...

I'm laughing out loud at your reports of Frost's games, comments, etc. I really wish we could get our boys together... (The other day Luca discovered--for reasons I can't recall--that eating meat is mean... and decided that he would not eat any meat again. "No chicken, no cow, no pig, no lamb. [long pause] Except every now and then I might eat some stuffed roast duck." Note - he has never yet, to my knowledge, eaten stuffed roast duck.)

Are you feeling better? Is Wren's leg back to normal size and colour? Are you getting sleep again? I catch up on your blog on a weekly basis these days, so I get the full onslaught of your trials and tribulations in one fell swoop. Glad that you seem to be managing each crisis, but sorry for you that new ones seem to crop up so frequently.

Looking forward, on your behalf, to your dad's visit!
- Tam

Shannon said...

Thanks Tam, I am glad you are able to check in occasionally. I confess my favorite meat is roast duck. I adore duck. I have always adored duck. When I was a vegetarian and visited Hong Kong I had a vegetarian mock duck and loved that too so I applaud Lucas intuition about that dish. Frost has been a vegetarian since he was in his 2's. His only exception was salmon jerky (since rescinded) and chicken potstickers (which he doens't know are meat). Of late he has also agreed to eat chicken teriyaki from a take-out. He is quite fond of anything teriyaki and course chicken is pretty tasteless like that.

I am feeling better. Actually, other than a sore red spot on my breast I am feeling fine. I am shocked at how awful I felt - it was like a really bad flu at the worst of it. Wren's leg is not normal size yet... still enlarged but not very noticeably.

Josh and I spoke about it tonight adn I am going to make an appointment with either our ped or the cardiology clinic for another look. It may be an intersection of the shots and the cath procedure which impaired his venous return there by some accounts.

I am feeling a bit nervy recently after all the dramas, Wren now has a cold and isn't sleeping and the dreaded/loved cardio clinic visit with echos is coming up soon.

Let me know if you read this otherwise I will email you. No, I will email anyway.