Monday, March 26, 2007

Mouthing it

Today has been cleaning day because we are trying to hire a cleaner. Its a paradox but when you think you are interviewing a cleaner it seems they are really interviewing you. You have to have the right mix of flexible schedule and organization to even qualify for an interview. Of the 3 cleaners I have phoned, only one has replied. This was the tail end of our phone interview:

Her: Okay, well, I will see you Monday.
Me: Great.
Her: Oh, I guess I should, uh, tell you.. I am not planning on continuing with this business indefinitely.
Me: [surprised] Oh, how much longer do you plan on doing it?
Her: Ummm, till summer at the latest. I really need another job.
Me: Um, okay.
Her: Cleaning is such physically demanding work. Its not good for my body. I need to move on, you understand.
Me: Well, are you sure you want to take on new clients now?
Her: [pause] I need the money but I guess I should think about that.
Me: Okay, think about it and get back to me.
Her: I've told my other clients that I can find someone to take over from me when I stop. Her name is Shannon and I could put her in touch with you directly instead.
Me: I really don't mind. I could see her...
Her: I will see if she can come on Monday with me and we can talk.
Me: Okay.
Her: And you need to supply all the cleaning supplies.

Now, beside the irony of me (Shannon) having a person named Shannon clean for me does anyone else think its weird that she is telling me about how tough the job is she really wants to stop? Way to go tapping into my bourgois guilt. Of course I should have told her not to bother coming over but my mind and tongue are not well synchronized these days and I ended up saying something else.

Oh, when I said "we are cleaning" I meant I am. Here, Wren and Josh are hanging out on the couch:

We had a little break today going to U-Village for sushi, candy, bookshopping and being in the sun. We all sneezed when we first saw it.

Wren is now napping and we are going to watch Eragon (the Movie) on DVD. Frost has been waiting for it to arrive and it finally has. It is family movie afternoon.

Should we be out in the sun still, should I be doing more laundry instead of adding to the family laundry mountain, should I be lying in the bath or napping. Sure. But its fun.

I should just add that I am really enjoying Wren's current stage. He is becoming increasingly social and babbles to himself as he gropes his toys. He likes to mouth everything he can grasp. A number of people commented on the picture of him 'reading" Goodnight Moon which I posted yesterday. Here it is again with the sequel:

3 comments:

Dina said...

Hi Shannon
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a note. Your boys are very handsome and it sounds as if Wren is doing really well - that's great. I stopped blogging at some point because I am somewhat neurotic and had read on some random blog about people posting mean and nasty comments and taking personal pictures from blogs using photoshop to do wierd things with them....totally irrational, I know, but I felt too exposed. I got over it though. And I agree, it is therapeutic - especially since I have, this time, started to correspond with other heart moms - something that did not happen before - and it's nice. I'll keep checking in on Wren and send positive thoughts your way.
Dina

The Special Zipper said...

Hey ya Shannon
Thanks for dropping by "the special zipper" challenge which commenced following initial blogging in relation to our Aussie heartkid Connor.

Wow .. and you have a strong Adelaide link ... zany. Glad that Wren is thriving and you are enjoying this stage in his life. There is fantastic communication and support from the international heartkids community.

Agree in relation to your comments on Shone's syndrome ... Connor is similar in terms of no one had really mentioned the diagnosis to us .. we heard it in handovers in intensive care. Since then we have discussed with caridologists who said what you have heard .. no change in treatment.

All the best and I will post soon explaining how the special zipper uptrade challenge works as it is a bit confusing.

The basic concept is to trade an item for an item of more value, then trade that again and eventually get an item of significant value to auction/sell and donate the funds to Heartkids Australia to help South Australian families.

I commenced with a clothes zipper representing the obvious scar on many of our children's chests. 5 trades later I am up to a Limited Edition Signed Dennis Lillee print (and signed as being from his personal collection).

Additionally the Wiggles and Adelaide crows have separately donated items to auction now (separate to uptrade challenge).

Thanks again for visiting The Special Zipper

Shannon said...

Thanks Tim
I read the whole thing on your blog. Its a great plan. I shall send my Mom the link too.

Dina
I agree - being in touch with other heart families really helps. you feel less insane and in another dimension that way.

The babycenter board i link to on my site is also a help that way.

Shannon