Tuesday, March 20, 2007

How to dismember a wreath?

As a sign of how far behind my housework truly has fallen - I took the holiday wreath down from the front door today. The Christmas lights are still entwined in the limbs of the leafless mimosa for another day. I had noticed the wreath (the one I bought from Laurie for her fundraiser) - bleached near grey with its red ribbon hanging limply - when we had visitors over. Politely, no-one mentioned it but in that moment of silence it was obvious the time had come to dispose of the wreath and welcome the spring.

But how to do it?

Now, for those of you who don't know - for 34 years of my life I have lived in countries where Christmas occurs in midsummer and you eat a big old ham and swim if you are lucky. There's none of this fashionable greenery strewn around and even Christmas trees are generally of the synthetic variety. So, understand my confusion when trying to dispose of the wreath.

1) It looks like it could go in the yard waste but has piles of wire twisted every which way inside it.
vs
2) It looks like it might go in the garbage - but its too big for my regulation bin.

I ended up spending about half an hour gutting the thing. I had to get wiresnips to cut the wire, yard gloves to hold the painfully dry green bits, and patience to unwind and cut until I had made it full circle.

I now have a pile of green stuff for yard waste, a pile of wire for garbage and a nice round wreath frame to make my own next year. It is gratifying BUT I can't believe you all do this. What is the secret? What becomes of all the holiday wreaths in America? What would Martha Stewart do?

No comments: