Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Hearing test

Wren had a hearing test today. Apparently all babies are supposed to be screened in hospital but Wren was missed because he was in the NICU. Anyway, it was a palaver because he had to be asleep for it and as we all know, he doesn't sleep.

After a lot of effort he was tested and passed.

His sleep today was a nightmare. Through a series of unfortunate circumstances - getting ready to go to the doctor, hearing test, a noise in the afternoon Wren was interupted during three consecutive naps and had slept for only 1 hour by 3pm. He was inconsolable. I had to carry him to sleep for all remaining naps with some backup from the Rainforest Swing (bless this invention.)

I think Heather has it right - he is overtired - but its a vicious cyle in getting things set to rights.

I saw the dermatologist today for a skin check and had a basal cell carcinoma. The dermatologist said since it was so small it was okay to freeze it so she used the liquid nitrogen to free an area slightly smaller than a dime. It hurt and has formed a blister but I shall survive.

2 comments:

Wyndi said...

go wren! We had a feeling you would pass:) Your mom said you would:) and we belive she knoews you well! I hope you get some sleep tonight!
wyndi and Izzy

Anonymous said...

Shannon, I don't know if you remember, but Annadora was a baby that always had to be touched. She would not let me set her down to nap. She would not nap in the stroller, and she would not nap in a rear facing car seat. She would nap in my arms or in a sling. Steve or I would have to be constantly touching her for her to sleep. She still needed us to touch her to fall asleep when she was 3 years old. I think some babies need more contact to sleep. Isaak didn't like to be touched when he was asleep, but he did wake every 2 hours for his first 16 months of life. Every night for those 16 months I was up with Isaak for an hour between 4 and 5 am dancing with him in my arms to calm him down. Its hard. Sleep deprivation is miserable.

Maybe if you focus on soothing Wren, you will be able to find peace yourself. Can Joshua carry Wren in a sling for a while before or after work each day?

--
Tracy