Monday, February 5, 2007

When I scratch my pants they chirp like birds

Just when you start to wonder why you wanted kids in the first place they redeem themselves by saying something like "Mummy, when I scratch my pants they chirp like birds!". I have been repeating it to myself regularly to counteract the effects of nightly sleep deprivation and 3 hours of co-sleeping (back in spasm, irritability, resentment, tiredness in the bones). Frost has discovered the joy of synthetic material and likes to scratch his clothing and see what noise it makes. To me he sounds like Neruda.

I have also resolved to set up playdates for coming weekends. I think we are up for company when both Josh and I are home and we are clearly failing to meet Frost's needs for social contact. I just sit on the couch nursing Wren or jiggle around the house wearing him to sleep. Josh just sits on the counch watching football or his laptop. Neither of these are conditions that please Frost. Today, he is trying to persuade me to build a look-alikes city with him. Since this involves making a big mess of miniatures, boxes, glue, polystyrene, corks etc to create a city which then decays into a pile of non-recyclable debris - I am not keen. He is begging me. On top of it all I can't find a store that sells pokemon starter sets - an acitivity I would be happy to share with Frost.

I am now off to Children's for the Heart kids support group. Wren is yelling while Josh tries (semi-unsuccessfully) to soothe him and he told me to type fast.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

You might try Beserk Games in Greenwood: http://www.berserkgames.com/

If nothing else, they may be able to point you in the right direction for the Pokemon cards.

Anonymous said...

I am from the TTCAM board and a very short stay on the PAL board.

We got my daughter tons of Pokemon cards on ebay, even some rares..

Hope that helps.

Shannon said...

Lauren
I haven't heard of that game store and shall try them. I went to Gary's Games in Greenwood and they have no more in stock - just the booster packs. I looked at the website you linked and it had no pokemon listings but I shall try then by phone and see if they know of other options.

Its crazy that I don't know where to buy this kind of stuff.. I thought pokemon was so mainstream..

Jacqueline... Ebay is a good idea. Also, there were some on Craiglist for $50 today (tons, but not cheap really). However we wanted to play today so I was looking at offline options for a change.

Thanks for your ideas and good luck with the nerve-wracking pregnancy after loss journey.