Sunday, February 18, 2007

Visitors and the blue yonder

We had a big day today. Firstly, we went out on a family outing to soccer at Magnuson park. Frost scored 5 goals against a confused opposition. Josh says that in any 4-5s soccer game there is one kid who just runs straight ahead when he gets the ball - regardless of whether it is in the correct direction, another who wanders aimlessly and another who knocks the opposition over using physical force. We had all on the field today. Frost was very pleased with himself.

While he played I took Wren for a walk to the coffee shop for one of those decaf soy lattes I am so fond of. On the way home we stopped at Top Pot and I bought a Bavarian Cream doughnut. More on that later.

When we arrived home we lay in the back garden and planned our vegetable garden for spring. Joshua is rather ambitious and we have plans for tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, purple carrots and various lettuce plantings. I think there may be a tricolor corn on the menu too but I have no idea where he thinks we can slip in a few 6 foot high plants without shading out the espaliered apples and the raspberries. I guess we can put them on the planting strip where we get most sun anyway.

Wren lay in the sun for the first time under the pretences of making Vitamin D. He liked it as long as it wasn't in his eyes.

This afternoon Granny Katie and Great-Granny Charlotte arrived to visit overnight. Wren was not in his best frame of mind. He was very whiny and slept a lot. His diarrhea had let up earlier but was back this evening and this time I feel responsible. I think it was that doughnut - you know, the whole dairy thing. Anyway, it took him a few naps and nurses before he was himself this evening and enjoyed his bath and mobile in the usual way. He has gone to bed very early and I do not have a lot of confidence that I will get much sleep tonight.

I hope I am wrong!

No comments: