Friday, January 26, 2007

Mint icecream

Cheryl brought mint choc chip icecream for desert tonight and it was delicious. I don't think she had made it home before we had eaten dinner! Frost was very helpful and after he ate his quiche he 'served' me a large dollop and even wiped up the spills with a sponge.

Wren had a "normal" day at home today. He did his share of fussing and sleeping and eating and wanting to be held but that was about it. I don't think he was particularly happy or content but he wasn't miserable either which is more than I can say for Tuesday.

We bought a cradle swing and he had a nice long nap in that this afternoon. Frost thinks the cradle swing is a total entertainment center and whenever Wren is in it (trying to sleep or not) he wants to turn on the rotating monky/lion/toucan musical jungle with flapping leaves. He switches the soundtrack from beebop to lullaby and back again and wants to make it swing very energetically. I spend much time turning all the bits and pieces off. To give Frost credit, Wren seems quite interested in watching the show.

I am still anxious and feel a sense of unreality about being home. Before, I felt unreal in the hospital. I have already called the Heart Center once to speak to the nurse about the cath sites and whether Wren might have an infection. It turns out he doesn't which is good but I don't want to take any chances.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went through the "swing wars" with Annadora and Isaak as well. She would crank the volume up and get the swing going so fast Isaak would startle. I'm not sure which one out grew the stage first. Hang in there. You are a fabulous mama.

Love,
Tracy

tamusana said...

Keep eating mint chocolate chip ice cream. It might help you regain a sense of normalcy and reality at home (and if not, well, yummy...). Sorry you've been feeling so anxious - it seems entirely reasonable, I should point out. I think your biggest challenge now--after having thought that you were just being paranoid about Wren's various "symptoms" (in quotes because you were never sure whether they were symptomatic of something serious or just ordinary baby experiences) and then discovering that there really was something amiss--will be to find your balance once again... to not start thinking that every sign or symptom is indicative of something terrible. Sort of a post-traumatic stress experience. I want to encourage you to take a deep breath and try not to worry too much... easy for me to say, I know. But try to remember that Wren actually has done really well in the grand scheme of things.... in one of your postings around Xmas, pre-op, you didn't know if he'd make it through the surgery. At that time it would have been impossible to imagine that within a month or two you'd be upset that he wasn't being given a [relatively] clean bill of health.
As for the entertainment center: these days, I seem to be Luca and Kenji's favourite entertainment center. Don't know whether you've seen The Upside Down Show on Noggin... 2 Australian brothers do all sorts of antics based on the concept of an imaginary remote. So Luca and Kenji find it hysterical to "pause" me, or "fast forward", or "rewind" (not very successful, especially when I've just changed a diaper).
:-) love Tam

Wyndi said...

The nurses at the clinic do not mind your calls, they are there to help. I called them alot in the begining while Izzy was recovering and having troubles.i still call them when worried. Izzy has a alot going on with her health (airway, lungs, PHACES) but I am more secure about her heart then I was in the past. She had renarrowing after her surgery and had a cath also, they do have a differnt CHD though. But it did scare us to know that we only went 8 weeks and then she was already having issues. Do trust yourself, you did notice wren having some troubles and called the nurse before his apt. I know that it is hard and scary in the unknown but you did notice and I think you will be able to notice if he has more trouble. You are doing a wonderful job caring for and protecting him. you are in tune with him, trust in yourself. If any one csalls you paranoid tell them you knowe your son and to trust you too. I hope you get to get some rest.the swings have helped alot of the reflex babys. does he sleep on a wedge also? that helped alot too.