Thursday, December 21, 2006

Warming up!

Wren:
Mum and I had a lovely visit with Wren this evening and I sang him lots of Christmas carols in a squeaky voice. It was very exciting to see some signs of improvment.

While we were in the room his top (upper) temp dropped to 37.4 and his lower temp rose from 27.7 to 29.7. Shortly after surgery his extremity temp was 22 while his core temp was 37 ish so we are very encouraged.

Other good news was that his BPs rose about 10 points upper and lower. The upper one is hovering around 78/39 and the lower around 68/37. This is up significantly and may lead to some dopamine reduction in the morning.

Me:
My fever and chills and aches returned yesterday and I had a horrid night of chills and sweats and little rest. I called the OB who wanted to see me and did some tests. They have taken a CBC to see whether it is infection or viral and due to some other symptoms they started me on Augmentin (strong antibiotic) in case it is a kind of uterine infection. I hope I do better tonight as dragging my frozen/boiling feverish self around is less than fun under the most normal circumstances.

This evening I did some quick Christmas shopping at Bartells while I waited for my prescription to be filled. Thank god for lego.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help and emailed their love, prayers and kindness. I know I have not got back to many of you but so appreciate the thoughts and support.

The ICU is a grueling place to be. We met a family whose baby was just brought in under emergency conditions today. He was born in Bellingham and crashed after birth - he has a critical heart condition (anomalous venous return) that has only palliative surgery and it is touch and go if he makes it. The mom had a C-section so she isn't here but the dad is standing by the bedside and we wish him well.

Meanwhile, a family has been waiting all day in the waiting room crying. We feel very lucky to have Wren through his surgery and hope that he will recover without further major surgery.

No comments: