Friday, October 28, 2011

Why does everyone want to ask the AI the meaning of life?

I have my new phone and the boys have taken it over to chat to Siri.  It had lots of trouble understanding me - perhaps its the accent or that my requests to find things were not commonplace.  Frost also finds it more successful on esoteric matters and ventures there.

He started off with the big questions "Siri, what is the meaning of life?"  Siri replied that it was 42 and then advised that the boys show kindness to living things and live a life of good intentions.

Wren then asked "What is the meaning of DOG?"

After thinking a moment Siri produced a fact sheet about dogs which included the information that:

"A domesticated carnivorous mammal (Canis familiaris) related to the foxes and wolves and raised in a wide variety of breeds. "

I have to go to the bathroom" Frost shouts to me.

"Sorry, I couldn't find any public toilets around here." Siri announces.

This started Frost off on another tangent.  "Mom" he shouts from the bathroom in an echoey way. "You can use this to FIND PLACES!  Where is Boom Noodle?"

It misheard him a few times and came up with odd misspellings of nothing.

Frost said: "I am going to kill you"

And received a sanguine: "Okay."

"Wanna watch TV."

"I have found a number of electronics stores close to me."

"I play the drum!"

Siri played music.

"Mom, mom!  You can make the phone play music!"

Wren is happy because it has Angry Birds.

I am still a bit confused by the thing.  It has imported my gmail contact list as my contacts which means I can txt everyone but have no phone numbers.  I am able to browse my new Audubon Mushroom guide wherever we go but am cagey about uploading my "sightings" as they are shared on a GPS enabled map, giving away location of any choice edibles.

I have taken some pictures of Wren and I and they seem crisp.  At least my blog will have pictures again if I can figure out how to synch iPhoto via the iCloud which is not yet interfacing with MobileMe.

I asked Siri for help with my contacts and she replied that she was not allowed to make contacts.

I am sure Siri could garble up a nice saying along the lines of "The road to hell is a cloud lined with good intentions."

No comments: