Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh, that's what a boner is!

Thanks to a playdate this afternoon, I now have insight into the perils facing fourth and fifth grade students on public school playgrounds. I've been enjoying my dialogue driven blogging of late, so to continue in this vein:

[Frost (8), his friend (10), Wren (3) and I are sitting around the kitchen table playing Top Dogs. After a spirited final round, his friend won the 14 point trophy.]

Frost: You boned us!

The friend and I look surprised. The friend guffaws a bit. Wren snaps elastic bands onto the peg-board.

Me: Do you know what that means?

Frost: No.

Friend: Guffaw

Me: Its a rude word for having sex.

Frost: Huh?

Me: Like.. well... it refers to ... when a penis gets hard. Its like it has a bone in it.

Frost: Ooooh! Yeah?

Friend: I know the proper word for that!

Me: Do you?

Friend (speaking as if announcing the winner of a derby): ERECTION!

Me: Yep, its called an erection. So, boning is a bit of a rude way of saying having sex.

Frost: Oooh, that's what a boner is!

Friend: At school, at recess, the boys in my class run up to 4th graders in the playground and
just say "ERECTION!" and run off.

Me: [cracking up] They do WHAT?

Friend: I don't do it. Of course. I don't. But some kids in my class run up to 4th graders and say
EEEERRRECTION!!!!

Me: Do the fourth graders know what it means?

Friend: Dunno. "ERECTION!!!!"

So, now its up to you. Are you going to tell your kid what an erection is or tell them its just a way kids say "I want to be your friend."

2 comments:

Life's like that... said...

Hee hee - THAT's why I told my kids all about sex from 4. They are not embarrased at all, know all the terms, and think it's perfectly natural part of life.
www.muminawe.com (Wendy)

Wendy said...

Oh my! We have always used correct terms for all body parts and as my 4 year old asks me questions I am giving her proper information with correct terms....so hopefully we avoid the school yard snickering and the kids grow up knowing sex is a natural part of life, not something to snicker about at recess.