Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Two Years and 10 months

This morning I woke to an emailed newsletter from Swedish Hospital - titled "Your Baby and Autism Screening. Under the big banner - "YOUR BABY IS TWO YEARS AND TEN MONTHS OLD" it announced boldly that:

"One in 166 children today is diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder, making it more common that pediatric cancer, diabetes, and AIDS combined."

Thankfully, I am not worried that Wren has an autism spectrum disorder but someone writing that newsletter has a screwy perspective if they think that many mothers of 'healthy' toddlers are worrying about toddler diabetes, toddler AIDS and toddler cancer. I should hope not. It just seems an odd comparison.

Recent CDC data shows that autism rates may be closer to 1:100 so a more reasonable comparison would be to heart defects. Imagine receiving an email "one in 100 children today are diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder making it as common as a congenital heart defect," which would also look odd.

The truth is that concerns with autism are pretty widespread and newsworthy. "one in 100 children today are diagnosed with a congenital heart defect making it as common as autism spectrum disorders."

That's startling.

Wren today (at 2 years 10 months)
Wren still has a cough but it hasn't kept him up at night for a few days. I kept him out of preschool today and yesterday in case he catches something else on top of the chesty cough and I'm right on the fence about taking him to the naturopath and/or doctor. I have been listening to other kids with this cough (kids at preschool and Kyler) and they all sound the same so I am not sure whether he needs to be seen or not. I am giving him cod-liver oil, echinacea, honey cough syrup and his daily vitamin. I occasionally hide some reishi in his hot chocolate (prescribed by the naturopath). He is in good humor so I hope he recovers on his own.

Wren is very talkative and demanding. He tells me what to do and shrieks and yells if I use a firm voice or say no. If I agree with him we get on well. Unfortunately he tries to dominate Frost as well which does not go as well.

This morning Frost was very sweet and played puzzles with Wren. They made many digger puzzles we found in the cupboard, stored from when Frost was small.

Wren loves board games but does not play by the rules.

He also loves to make "guys" or duplo people or stuffed animals talk. This is his latest favorite thing. I talk the animals and he talks and responds to their needs and the situations we create together. He has endless concentration for this game.

We are going for a walk to the coffee shop.

No comments: