Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Scattered thoughts of fall

We had a relaxing weekend. At least I think we did (I honestly cannot remember much of it but I know I had a bath and read my book and that Frost had a soccer match). Today it was cool and the typical fall weather of dark skies, slight rain and buffeting winds set in by the afternoon. Inside its warm with the furnace kicking in overnight. There are spiders everywhere - one fell on me in the bathroom this evening - as if they know its time to find a warm nook inside. Our Halloween decorations are coming out.


On Sunday we had a lovely brunch with Tara and Fred while Frost caught up on his Alexander time. After breakfast we walked and rode bikes up to Meridian Playground and ran around and collected horse-chestnuts for Wren's sensory table. Wren went on a big kid swing for the first time while Frost threw apples.


Frost is very focused on Halloween. He writes about it in his journal, plans a party and has already started decorating the house. Here are Frost and Alex dressed up on the weekend. I am not sure what Frost is supposed to be but he was colorful.



Ninja Alex


This morning Wren had his first day alone at Roaring Mouse for the whole day. He took some of his favorite things - skeleton spider, a rubber bat and soft shirt - so he would not be sad. I came back in time to watch closing circle and he was sitting quietly mimicking the teachers crossed legs and clapping.



Frost with the Skellie-spider


Wren is a danger

Tonight at the preschool coop parent meeting the educator mentioned that 2 year olds have little spatial awareness. This was the most important thing I have learned at preschool and explains why Wren is so dangerous at present. On the weekend he borrow Alex's "Gyptian sword". The Gyptian sword is a costume prop but has a very sharp tip. Wren loves to run around with the Gyptian Sword ("Mummy, where do Gyptians live?" "In Egypt" I answer.


Wren's 'mirror neurons' are very active at the moment - he loves to copy exactly what I do. If I touch my hair, he touches his hair. If I take a bite of my dinner, he bites his dinner. If I sip tea, he wants some tea to sip. This is not so good with Frost's behavior. Wren runs after Frost copying his thrusts of imaginary daggers, kicking walls and leaping off sofas in emulation of Frost's 'moves'.


Tomorrow are going bird watching and Heather will be here in the afternoon. We are also going to make orange playdoh for Halloween.


The peregrine falcon who may speak Spanish

No comments: