Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer Holidays

Frost's school is out and summer holidays have begun. It was an inauspicious start with snails chewing off the tops of my sprouting dahlias, Wren stamping on my newly flowering annuals as he pounded towards a snail (a friendly one, apparently) and Frost thinking he was funny as he strapped himself into the babyseat and threw a faux tantie by kicking the driver's seat headrest hard.

I am slightly hoarse from reprimanding the kids. I guess it is a combo of me - wanting to get a lot done - and them being incredibly stubborn and argumentative.

Frost seems to provoke me in almost every conversational situation. Eg. I make him a veggie burger. He is having screen time. I tell him (with eye contact) that the veggie burger is on the table. "yes, yes" he says. 20 minutes later it is untouched and he asks me to reheat it and is puzzled why "you didn't tell me it was there!"

He also likes to provoke Wren to chase and hit him and then is vastly wounded when Wren is successful in administering capture/contact.

Wren is very sensitive to inequity. If Frost says he wants something (it could be a hit on the head) then Wren shrieks and mimics the demand. "Can I have umgay?" Frost asks in pig latin. "I WANT UMGAY TOO" yells Wren from his carseat. "I WANT UMGAY!"

My nerves are a bit shot and I am overreacting to everything. I think we shall have a few days of quiet and playdough and all will be well. For now I am making it through the hours between a meal and an episode of Dora by the skin of my teeth.

Berry picking, swimming and canoeing here we come!

Dad is leaving for South Africa tomorrow - has to be at the airport at 6am! While we're talking upcoming events - we also have cardiology clinic (July 6th) with chest X-ray and echo (hopefully no sign or side effects from this pneumonia. Wren still coughs but has more energy.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I have the same issue with Sarah & Gabby, ages 5 & 3 1/2. Sarah will ask for something, then Gabby immediately asks for it, even if it's something she doesn't like. Gabby wants/needs to be included in everything, of course. It will be interesting when they have swim lessons together at the Y starting next week.
Our next cardiology visit is 8/3. Hope all goes well with yours!