Saturday, February 7, 2009

Synagis with Emla tomorrow

Tomorrow afternoon Wren is scheduled for his Synagis shot. I have a tube of prescription cream from our pediatrician which is to be used an hour before the shot so it does not hurt.

The information I received from the pharmacist was "apply 1 hour before the shot".

Ho hum.

I read the online instructions and it appears to be more complex. I am to apply ONLY to the spot that will be used for the injection. I should apply a dollup and then seal the area with an occlusive dressing so Wren does not mess with it. I should not allow the medication to be in contact with the skin for more than 4 hours - so effectively once the time for the shot comes I should wipe it off and clean the site so the cream is removed.

The shot is scheduled for 2.30pm-3.30pm

Wren naps from 12.30pm - 2.30pm

When can I apply the damn cream?

I guess I should try and get him to nap early, ask the nurse to confirm her arrival time around midday and then put the cream on based on the most current information. I also need to aquire a big bandaid that seals a bit better than our scooby doo ones.

Ugh. I wish it was a bit easier.

1 comment:

Gina and the Gang said...

Gosh, I wish I had an easy answer for you! We've used the cream at times, and at others we haven't. I wish they also gave you some clear tagederm dressings to put over the cream. You're not even supposed to rub it in, just glob it on.

If it doesn't work out, don't worry. After a few years of shots, Casey would cry the second the cream was applied, because he knew it meant a shot was coming!