Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Menace of a Stopwatch

Yesterday Frost was given a stopwatch. I expected him to time himself doing laps of the house or hopping across the living room. Not Frost. He was reading with great concentration before breakfast and when the time came for him to eat he announced "I have read 3 and 3/4 chapters in 23.85 minutes!" Great, its the reading Olympics.

Wren noticed Frost clicking and carrying the stopwatch and now wants one too. Until he could get his hands on it he carried around a whistle on a string and managed to get himself snared by the neck to a chair-leg. I have taken the toy away.

I am a bit sick today. I have a low fever, chills, aches and a very sore throat. I am at the point of wishing it would just turn into the inevitable cold. Nobody else seems affected so I am hoping it is just my turn for the lurgy that everyone else in the family had a few weeks ago.

Today we received the reminder for Wren's follow-up echo on March 2nd. It is at 2pm and clinic at 3pm. I am of course in dread.

The kids both received Hep B shots today - a series I delayed in infancy. Wren was very afraid of the idea of the shot. I didn't use the Emla because I still had failed to learn how to do it properly. The nurse at our pediatrician explained that you need to use a larger amount than I did last time (about the size of a quarter and quite thick) and to cover it with tagaderm for 1hr +.

I plan to use it for the next Synagis shot.

The next couple of weeks are very busy with school tours - we have Thornton Creek this week and Bryant and Lowell in the first week of May.

Shannon

No comments: