Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kangaroos in the mist


Seattle was covered by a thick fog this morning. After dropping Frost at school Wren and I went for a walk to a coffee shop until zoo opening time. I am trying to train local barristas to sell me a kiddicino as they do in Australia (foamed milk in a tiny cup with a bit of chocolate on top but no coffee). They consider it a novelty and give them to me free. Wren enjoyed his while I had a real coffee. Here is Wren bringing snuggle-bunny through the mist to the coffee shop, Fresh Flours.

The mist was still heavy when we reached the zoo. Wren told me he wanted to see the grizzly bears (aka "panda bears" in his words) and the 'nakes. The Nakes only open at 10am so we passed by the Australian exhibit while heading to see the bears. The bears were pretty dull - practicing a bit of hibernation by the pond - but the kangaroos were out and about. The misty field reminded me of camping at Lammington National Park (O'Reillys) at Green Mountain outside Brisbane. I would love to take the kids there sometime. The parrots come down on your hands and in the misty mornings the wallaby graze right by the tents. Bower birds display their blue treasures in the undergrowth nearby and there are wonderful trails AND a coffee shop. Argh! I really need to get out of town even if I don't make it to Australia next weekend :)

The otters were also very active. Wren was concerned because the otters had a Christmas tree in their pool and were using it as a toy, swimming under and around. Wren hoped that the otters would go into their den which has a glass front. He likes to see them go "night night". Today the otters looked as if they had just woken up. Here is an otter diving past the Christmas Tree.


The only part of our Zoo visit which Wren did not enjoy was when the lion started roaring just out of sight. I think we were at the back of his pen but the roar was alarming loud for Wren who refused to get out of the stroller and kept asking to "go home" for a while. As the roars receded with distance he check with me "lion not get You?" "Lion gone far 'way?" I reassured him the lion could not get out and get him. It is funny how he calls himself You. I hadn't really noticed until today.

Josh looked after Wren tonight while I was doing a school cleaning for our Open House tomorrow. Unfortunately there was another 'poop in the bath' incident which was distressing for Josh and Wren. The good news is that Josh was not IN the bath at the time although I remain suspicious of the few toys that partook of the poopy puddle.

No comments: