Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year

I am wandering around half asleep this afternoon - it feels like one of those days on which we set the clocks back. I guess this is from going to bed at 11.30pm!! I almost made it till midnight. Frost stayed up till 1.30am after going out to a party at Carrie and John's house (of Petra fame) but I was surprised he did not fall asleep when we returned earlier.

I could not resist posting this picture of Wren's birthday cake (birthday was a couple of weeks ago). Mum sent it to me and I have only now been dealing with my inbox. It was going to be an excavator but became a bulldozer due to Technical Difficulties.



Happy New Year everyone and may the poor get richer, the racoons less voracious, calories less fattorific, heart defects less serious and the weather less weathery. Oh, and how about some world peace and discount airfares to Australia while we are at it.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Hi there! My name is Amber. I know this seems random but I was wondering if you could email me? I am personal friends with the top 3 families on your "links" and after googling "diaper strep infection"...a post from 12/2007 popped up from your blog! I too have a child with a CHD and he was just diagnosed with strep and I wondered if I could ask you a few questions? Our blog is http://themaierfamily.blogspot.com/ and my email is ambermaier@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Amber

tamusana said...

Hey Shannon,
Happy new year and belated happy birthday! We were away for a week (skiing in the Swiss Alps... sounds so exotic; actually it's about 1.5 hrs from our house) - so only received your note and photos when we returned. Thanks! It was nice to see your handwriting again - hasn't changed much!

Still slowly catching up on your blog. I enjoyed your 1974 compositions :-) Except - either you got the date wrong, or you wrote them when you were 8, not 6. We were born in 1966....

Here's wishing you a very happy, healthy 2009.

Shannon said...

Hey Tam
Oh, you are right! I must have been 7 (I turned 8 at the very end of the year so things done in that year are when I am a year younger) Thing is, I am confused because I think it was written in Upper-Kindergarten which was 1973 but perhaps I started school in 1973? I bet my mother knows.

I hope skiing was good. I am so over the snow that we have not been skiing yet. Frost hopes to learn to snowboard.

Shannon

tamusana said...

Hmmm.... all I can tell you is that we met in 1975, in Std.1. Were you at DGC for lower and upper kindergarten? I'm guessing you did write those compositions in 1974 at age 7; they seem a bit too advanced for 1973.... or perhaps I'm basing that on my own skill level ;-).

In approximately class 2 (at Sharona) I wrote an infamous composition that opened: "Fish are mammals." My teacher commented "No they are not." I proceeded to write riveting info about fish ("Fish have fins..."), 3 words per line. The overall comment was something like "Very good Tamsyn. But please don't write in threes."

Skiing was fun. I envy the boys' learning curve. The best thing for me was that it was SUNNY every day. Geneva tends to have a layer of cloud lurking overhead, especially as we are right next to the lake; heading up to the mountains can be very uplifting, so to speak. As for snowboarding: make sure he gets a helmet, and good quality snow pants (boarders seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on their bums).