Friday, January 23, 2009

Biking, 1st Haircut and Little Gym Decision

I have been looking for a 'class' for Wren to attend. I would like something that is short and only once a week. Music, art or big jumping activities would be ideal. Yesterday I took Wren to try out a class at the Little Gym near our house. It was not a typical class because it was the end of a session and the children were "showing off" their skills. Wren liked the room, he jumped and balanced his way around it but I have decided not to join the class. The problem is that it is a lot like pre-gymnastics - not just gym in general. They do balance beam and forward rolls and hanging bars and swinging on parallel bars and even rolling around a bar. Since Wren is only just released from 'sternal precautions' I feel that all this gym might be a bit much.

Still, its hard. I wonder whether this is the beginning of a sloap (aka a soapy slope) on which I restrict Wren's activity due to his heart condition or surgery. I hope not. I would like to hear from other parents whose kids have had OHS but don't have explicit restrictions on activity. Do you find yourselves stopping them playing some games or sports or just let them try? I am not cautious at home. Just seeing that room of balancing, swinging, rolling, jumping and bouncing toddlers I felt protective of Wren. Plus there were 3 kids coughing disturbingly!

We are going to try out the Nurturing Pathways toddler class to see if that is a better fit.

First Haircut
Wren and Frost both received a haircut this week. Wren did not enjoy his haircut despite being able to sit on a wooden whale, watch TV and have his brother and mother sing to him. The salon gave him a certificate which said he has "bravely received his first haircut" but it was a generous assessment. Here is Wren having the snip .


The hairdresser did not do much beside make a straight bowl cut and even then Wren barely made it. I doubt you would notice that he had a haircut.

Biking to Greenlake
On the weekend Frost suggested we go for a bike ride. Lauren lent us a bike so both Josh and I could go and we put Wren on the back. It was cold but lovely and bright and we made it to Greenlake (via Cohen Park) for a cup of hot chocolate and a cookie.


Here is Wren hiding in the shrubbery next to the coffee shop. He gave me a real fright by vanishing into the hedge. I thought he might have run through into the neighboring yard! He is very unusual when he plays hide and seek because he can wait very still and silent for a long time waiting to be found.
Frost was so taken by the sunshine that he asked whether he could get all wet in Greenlake. I said "no". He nagged and I conceded that he could wade and experience the "natural consequences". Of course he wanted to know what that meant and when I explained it meant that he would learn why I thought that wading in icy water was a bad idea by experiencing the consequences - he was determined to prove me wrong.

Here is Frost in Greenlake telling me that there are no natural consequences and he is having fun. Josh is benignly unconvinced.

4 comments:

Wyndi said...

izzy was went to the little gym and it is pre gymnastics. She loved it nd i saw a lo fo strength gain n the lass but we where a good year out form her heart surgery and I understand your reasoning and would be cautious as well. The first time someone picked her up under her arms I felt sick! It takes time for them and us as parents to heal. izzy will have her activity limited when she is older to no contact sport and such but she can do most things and tries. If she gts tired she takes a break on her own. Did you look into a community center their classes are less expensive as well dance schools or a local pool.

Gina and the Gang said...

How funny that you and I are contemplating the same things right now. For almost a year, Casey has seemed interested in gymnastics. But we decided last year to wait since the opening at the local gym came during cold season. Since he is post-op as of December 2nd, it was hard for me to even let him go back to preschool!! We might still try gymnastics, but more of the "tumbling" variety, and activities that have lots of inflated jumpy things. I've also considered martial arts. As a kindergarten teacher, it seems to help a lot of my students learn discipline and boundaries, yet still be fun, energetic, and silly kids. As for outdoor sports, our problem out here is the heat. I would love to let him try soccer, yet Spring and Summer around here get past 100 degrees by noon!
My post was meant to be helpful, but I guess I rambled a bit....

Melissa Liu said...

Izzie's never been really too physical - she'd rather sit and read books. But some of the things we've done have been lower impact: yoga and swimming classes. I still enjoy the Mom & Tot Yoga class at the Seattle Holistic Center. I get to stretch and Izzie can either sit by me or play. The teacher (Colette) is great with kids, too. She also enjoys swimming and I feel it's less impactful than a tumbling class. The Little Gym trial class had kids bouncing off the walls and was a little too much for both of us. I know how you feel and good luck in finding something that works!

Shannon said...

Thanks for the reassurance and suggestions. We have signed up for one session of Nurturing pathways.

It was kind of against my better judgment - I was talked into it - but I think Wren will get to enjoy it. Right now he is not sure (neither am I). The class has 'dance', parachute, balls, circle, running, obstacle course and streamers and goes at a manic pace which I am not sure is healthy BUT there are lots of things about it which are fun. Oh, you get to pretend to be a dinosaur and a turtle and climb over obstacles.

Perhaps I signed up because it is right next to a Starbucks and I had just drunk my new ONE CUP per day.