Thursday, December 4, 2008

Complexity

This morning I walked from the Pacific Science Center (where Frost and Granny were seeing 'Lucy' - the missing link fossil) to the Westlake Center. I was waiting at a traffic light within sight of the big shiny tree, the carousel and all that glitters, . A black woman with a plastic bag and lots of missing teeth smiled at Wren. I smiled back as you do with strangers.
She nodded at Wren. "I had a baby," she said "but my baby died."
I said "I am very sad to hear that. Was it long ago?"
She nodded.
The light changed.
"Have a happy day," she said.
I pushed Wren across the bumpy crosswalk clutching his new dinosaur with all the stories of our lives garbled in my head.

We really enjoyed the Macy's Christmas window with the trains traveling through snowy country. We really enjoyed the bus ride home.

No comments: